Two pennies from Hell!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by shilines, Feb 22, 2018.

1. shilines

shilines Active Member

PicsArt_02-22-01.25.10.jpg PicsArt_02-22-02.06.50.jpg PicsArt_02-22-01.25.10.jpg Hey guys,
    I have two 1970s lincoln cents that keep playing this little game with me. They seem to find humor in it, but I dont!!!! What they do is pretend to be large dates, then after a five second stare on my part one of them transforms itself into looking like a small date and then vice versa. Please help me identify these sneaky little devils that are driving me in sane!!!

Ps. Does the 1970 View attachment 743728 PicsArt_02-22-01.25.10.jpg no mint mark qualify as a coin to check for large or small date?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    JPeace$ and asheland like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This is a large date, and stays that way for me. Also the pixels are VERY large, but that's a whole different rant.

wxcoin and shilines like this.
  4. shilines

shilines Active Member

What about coin 1?

5. V. Kurt Bellman

Do you have access to "small date" pictures? The "9" and its shape are the key element.

6. shilines

shilines Active Member

Coin one the 7 and 0 look pretty even. The tail of the 7 is not longer than the 0, or at least doesnt look like.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Also LD. You gotta check out the "9". On an SD the upper terminus of the 9 points almost directly into the middle of the "7", not to its lowest point.

8. shilines

shilines Active Member

Yeah I view them online, but I still get confusec. Something about the curl of the 9 pointing directly to the right indicates small date. But some of the photos online were small dates and the curl of the 9 was not completely piinting towards the right.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

[​IMG]

To the left is the SD, to the right is the LD. A weak "LIBERTY" is also a diagnostic. There are VERY MANY places on the web that misidentify SD 1970-S cents. I find the evenness of the tops of the digits CONFUSES more than it INFORMS.

Cheech9712 and Stevearino like this.
  10. shilines

shilines Active Member

One more question please. Do I look for small or large date on a 1970 no mint mark as well, or just the 1970 s

11. shilines

shilines Active Member

Ok Got it, I see!!! Thanks

12. V. Kurt Bellman

AFAIK, just the S, but ALSO on Proof 1970-S. A lot of guys forget to check out 1970 proof and uncirculated sets.

13. shilines

shilines Active Member

I also noticed that the s on the small date is always much higher than on the large right. That is something that seems pretty consistent.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

FAIRLY consistent, yes. Most are quite high. I'm trying to remember, but my fading mind tells me two dies are involved, maybe three.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hmmm? They look like small pixels that became large pixels to me.

Chris

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You didn't stare at it long enough Kurt.

shilines likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

How long do I need to stare? Until I forget everything I've learned over 50+ years? Maybe if I did, I'd be FAR more popular with the newbs, huh? This "hey, I won the lottery" belief system that's going around just really confounds me. Make sure you have an empty stomach first, but fire up YouTube and put "coins error double" in the search bar, and prepare to be amazed, and disgusted. So much ignorance, so much hype, so little of value.

Yes, the hobby surely WILL become what the youths will make it, and that's what scares me. We older dudes need to start mentally preparing for a coin hobby in which there's more interest in a PMD Zincoln than a well-preserved Barber quarter. It nearly makes me hurl to type that, but it's not out of the question.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Stevearino likes this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

this is how you can tell them apart...

11148440_742601152527152_8957361601457332749_n.jpg

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

pull back your camera so the date is more in focus

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I agree wholeheartedly, but am starting to fear for a hell of a lot more than just the future of this hobby....

MisterWD, Stevearino and Nathan401 like this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

Amen, brother. EDITED: world event comments not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted