Two New Tetradrachms

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

This past weekend I had a table in the Sacramento show. As a small affair I was not certain I would find anything for myself, but happily I found two, complements of @CalGoldGuyDave
    Maximinus Tet.jpg
    This Maximinus appealed to me as it is struck on a large and heavy flan. Also there is enough silver in the alloy to make it look 'real' silver.

Salonina Tet.jpg
    This Salonina has a real lovely patina, but I also like the unusual placement of the date letters.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins @Ken Dorney - I wonder why the silver in the top tet is so prominent? Did someone make a mistake at the mint? Or is it just a case of an alloy taking an interesting coloration turn?

Anyway I thought I'd share a Salonina:

salonina1.jpg

salonina2.jpg

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Both are beautiful Tets.

Another reason I bought my Max I recently posted, much more silvery then my other, but less looking then yours.

What is the weight of yours?

[​IMG]
    Maximinus I (235 - 238 A.D.)
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: AVTO MAΞIMINOC EVC CEB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right .
    R: Nike walking left, wearing long chiton, carrying wreath and palm; LΓ in left field. Y 3 = AD 236-237.
    13.38g
    23mm
    Dattari 4583; Emmett 3288.3

Ex. Roma Numismatics E-Sale 36, Lot 242, May 5, 2017

Published on Wildwinds!

5. Ken Dorney

25mm and 13.02 grams

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very cool, @Ken Dorney ! I really like the Salonina, though the Max Thrax is interesting, too.

Here are a couple of Saloninas in my collection, years 14 and 15:

Salonina Alexandria Tetradrachm Year 14.jpg
    Salonina Alexandria Tetradrachm Year 15.jpg

8. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice looking coins Ken Dorney. I'll throw in the only tetradrachm i have, if thats ok.

56.1 tekst.png

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree both are keepers and I agree with the reasoning. My experience with tets of Maximinus suggest he was the last with consistently decent coins in terms of size and metal. There are some silvery Gordian III tets but more of his look like copper. I wonder if all this is alloy or if some is from how they were cleaned???

Maximinus
    pa1967bb3210.jpg

Gordian III
    pa2157bb3169.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if the shape of the letter L made it likely to be used to frame the date above but that does not explain the full reversal. On my Claudius II, I assumed the shape of the A allowed it to fit by the wing so the L went below. There is extra appeal to me from such placements.
    pa2625bb2834.jpg

10. Ken Dorney

I would bet that it is both. Expert cleaners would never strip a Diocletian down to bare metal, but I think they likely know that a Maximinus has enough silver to look nice.

Nice coins! The Helios portrait is very interesting and I love that facing eagle (rather looks like a chicken!).

rrdenarius likes this.
  11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Nice, Ken!! I'm really impressed with the relief of the Salonina! Especially behind her head! Mine is the same way...
    [​IMG]
    Cornelia Salonina, Wife of Gallienus who ruled 253-268 AD
    AE Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 264/265 AD
    Obverse
    : KOPNHΛIA CAΛΩNЄINA CЄB, diademed and draped bust of Salonina right.
    Reverse: Eirene standing left, holding olive branch and sceptre; palm before, IB/L (date), (RY 12 = 264/265 AD).
    References: Köln 2969; Dattari 5331; Milne 4102; Emmett 3855

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Both are remarkable for the reasons you mentioned and I'd gladly have either of them in my collection :).

13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm kind of re-phrasing my question above. To have coins become debased over time is normal. To see an uptick in the quality of the metal in the third century (apparently) in the line of Alexandrian tets is very unusual compared to Roman coins in general. For example I have a silvery Nero and a tet of Commodus which looks to be all potin, why would Maximinus or Severus Alexander before him decide to improve the quality/quantity of the silver alloy?

nerotet.jpg

commodus.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  14. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I wonder if certain batches of metal for groups of coins differed across the rule of an empire? Maybe silver-lean times dipped their contents a little low in certain provinces? Not sure, but am also curious what others think...

[​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius, Ruled 138-161 AD
    BL22 Tetradrachm, Alexandria, Egypt
    Struck Year 11, 147/148 AD

Obverse: ANTΩNINOC CEBEVCEB, laureate head of Antoninus Pius right.
    Reverse: L ENΔ E KATOV, Dikaiosyne seated left, holding scales and cornucopia (RY 11 = 147/148 AD)
    References: Emmett 1377.11, R1
    Size: 22mm, 12.5g

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius
    BL23 Tetradrachm, Alexandria, Egypt
    Struck Year 5, 164/165 AD

Obverse: M AYΡHΛIOC ANTΩNINOC C (Ω inverted), laureate head right.
    Reverse: Tyche seated left, kalathos on head, holding rudder and cornucopiae; L-Є (date) RY 5 = 164/165 AD.
    References: Dattari 3394, Emmett 2085.5
    Size: 23mm, 15g

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, Ruled 222-235 AD
    BL Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Year 5, Struck 225-226 AD

Obverse: A KAI MA AVP CЄV AΛЄΞANΔPOC ЄV, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak, date L Є (year 5 = 225-226 AD) across field.
    References: Dattari 4409, Emmett 3099
    Size: 23mm, 10.75g
    Ex: Holding History Auction 1 (6-1-2019), Lot #212

[​IMG]
    Gallienus, Ruled 253-268 AD
    AE Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 262/263 AD

Obverse: AYT K Π ΛIK ΓAΛΛIHNOC CEB, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak; before, palm; behind, LI, RY 10.
    References: Emmett 3806, Dattari 5276
    Size: 23mm, 11.9g

Draft saved Draft deleted