Two new Louis XV Jetons

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by brg5658, Nov 25, 2015.

1. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Below are a couple recent purchases:

1)
    Two months ago I found a lovely jeton on eBay that drew me in. I particularly loved the old oak being windswept by the three "winds" on the reverse. The Latin text on the reverse reads "NON FRANGITUR", which translates as "not broken" -- I presume this piece commemorated the end of the Seven Years' War in 1763. It's in an AU58 PCGS holder.
    [​IMG]

2)
    The second piece I picked up in last week's Heritage weekly world auction. I don't know too much about the design, but I liked the sun and bees. I'm reading through a couple references in French, and one from 1850 describes the token as (translated to English) "In the field, a double personification of the head of state; at the top, the sun, and then, rushing towards him, the queen bees swarm follows her. Thus the king's secretaries were following to execute and transmit his orders." The motto "DUCEM REGEMQUE SEQUUNTUR" translates roughly as "The king follows the leader". I haven't yet determined what historical event or issue of 1731 that this was meant to represent. It's in an AU55 PCGS holder.
    [​IMG]

Jaelus, sonlarson, Dcordeiro and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Amazing pieces brg!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@brg5658

The only thing I can add to the 1731 Jeton is that it was designed by Jean DuVivier who was born at Liege on February 7, 1687 and died in Paris on April 30, 1761.

Very nice, Brandon! Thanks for posting them.

Chris

5. Dcordeiro

Dcordeiro Active Member

Brandon I want to see these under your camera lens, not PCGS's! ;-)

6. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Will do. I'm waiting for the 1731 to arrive (here today from Heritage). But, I'm leaving today for the holidays -- but I'll try to post that one next week.

Below are my images of the 1763. As usual, the PCGS photos are red-shifted -- but they are actually pretty accurate for the 1763 jeton.

[​IMG]

Jaelus and Dcordeiro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted