Two new coins!! Islamic Fish - Nabataean Aretas II-III

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I just purchased these two coins from a dealer on Facebook who has a VCoins shop. Normally, these two coins are off of my collection grid plan but I like them quite a lot. This is my first Islamic figural coin and my first Nabataean coin as well.

Umayyad-governors-baysan-fals-reshoot.jpg

Islamic Empire, Umayyad, Palestine, Anonymous (738+ AD, 120+ AH), AE Fals, Baysan mint

Obverse: محمد رسول الله , Arabic text surrounding fish pointing left, within looped square, all within linear circle border. "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah."

Reverse: لا إله إلا الله وحده , Arabic text on three lines, within looped square, all within linear circle border. "There is no God but Allah alone."

Reference: Album 165, SNAT 4a #274-276

Ex: Charachmoba Gym

nabataean-aretas-ii-iii-reshoot.jpg

Ancient Greek, Nabataean Kingdom, Arabia, Aretas II-III (c. 120+ BC), AE18, Damascus mint, 18mm, 4.1g

Obverse: No legend, Corinthian helmeted head of Athena right.

Reverse: No legend, Nike standing left holding wreath, crescent over Λ field mark left.

Reference: Meshorer 1

Ex: Charachmoba Gym

Jwt708, randygeki, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins, I especially like the fish.

Gil-galad likes this.
  4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

@gil.. The obverse of your coin should be turned 180 degrees clockwise. Maybe this is not a fish. Perhaps..

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I don't believe so because you read from right to left and it starts at the top as I have it lined up. There are many at Zeno positioned the same way.

7Calbrey likes this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Neat finds

Gil-galad likes this.
  7. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

@7Calbrey is spot on...the picture on the left is upside-down and needs to be rotated 180 degrees.....maybe its still a fish or turtle swimming in the other direction :D;)

But somehow I doubt that because very few Islamic coins have any images of the ruler or any animate objects on them, especially way back in 120AH:)

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I'm sorry but I disagree. Even some people that I know that speak Arabic has not disagreed with me.

9. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

10. 1934 Wreath Crown

I see what you mean....its a wrap-around text. That is why the earlier text is the correct way up (difficult to read from the photo) and the last line is in fact upside down.

Some of the photos at zeno.ru are clearer.

7Calbrey likes this.
  11. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Yes, when you read the coin you turn it counter-clockwise, starting from the top and all the way around. It's tricky, I know.

7Calbrey and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  12. 1934 Wreath Crown

13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Yeah, I have to reshoot the coin. I just got this tripod and I've been trying to adjust my photos for it. I just got it about a couple weeks ago but only started using it a couple days ago.

14. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

It's no problem, my friend.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted