Two new circulation finds that mean a lot to me

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Billy Kingsley, Jul 8, 2010.

1. I don't post the interesting things I find in circulation too often. I don't think it's very interesting to see a brand new modern star or anything like that.
    But these two are different.
    The first up is a series 1988A $1. It's not in great shape but I didn't have a 1988 before. It's the first 1980s series $1 I've found since I started looking in May 2008. But there's more to it than that.
    Back around 1995/1996, I was 11 or 12 years old at max. I had a small collection of coins and notes. Well, I still have the coins. They got put in a binder and didn't see the light of day circa 1996-2008. But, the currency is gone. I don't know if it's in storage somewhere, but most likely, it was spent. I distinctly recall that most of them were series 1988, and I remember wondering why there were no 1989, 90, etc. I wouldn't find out until 2008, when I rediscovered the hobby.
    Anyway, here's my new 1988 note. I'm sure the examples I had (I was doing a letter set) back then were better, but right now I'm just happy to have it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second note...is my first series 2009. It's already taken a bit of a beating, but it's important for me because it's the first series that has been issued since I started collecting for real. (I can't count the 1995/96 adventure). I hope to someday build a complete district set of 2009 notes but for right now the hunt is on for one in perfect condition. I expect it will happen but who knows when? I found another, in a little better shape but with a less interesting serial number, but I have not scanned it yet. I'll probably end up keeping both, but I am sure I will keep the note posted below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Congrat's on the finds! It's always nice to have some sort of connection to a part of your collection.

4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Good memories, Billy. I'll tell you my start in collecting banknotes. When I was probably 14-ish (we're talking ~35 years ago) I found a corner of a $5 bill. Can't even remember where I found it, but it was a triangle torn off the note, with a complete "5" on it. For some reason I decided that I really had to have a collection of torn off corners of banknotes. I think I managed to get 1,2,5,10 and 20, all by tearing the corners off the notes myself, and sweating bullets as I tried to spend the remainder, hoping I wouldn't get "caught" trying to pass a partial banknote. At that point, my collection was complete, at least as far as I could take it. I'm not sure where those corners are now, I may poke around and see if I can find them deep down in some desk drawer.

Dave

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So Dave, you're the guy that gave my girls the idea to do this with paper.......:)

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Nice find Billy.. seems older notes are getting tougher and tougher to find in circ now.

RickieB

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Hi Billy What do you store your note in? For someone just starting out in collecting bank notes or the like I've found that there are " snack baggies " that are perfect for storing US currency. Until the person gets a binder album(?) these baggies can be put in a book a the notes won't be affected by anything for a long while. They're like half the size of a sandwich baggies.

8. Thanks guys! This is only the second 1980s series note I've found since I started collecting, so I am really happy to have it.

Rich, I have holders for each of them, I just have to actually take the holders out of the box I store them in and put the notes in the holder! I had not thought ahead and packed them up thinking I would not be buying anything new for a while...not taking into account that I might find something in circulation! (LOL)

Dave, that is interesting. It reminds me of a note I saw at a local shop recently. It was a Hawaii $20 and all four corners were missing, but just the corners, not the numbers. It looks like they were trimmed to me, Still have been trying to figure that one out and I saw it in 2008 I think.

9. acheron

acheron umop apsidn

I found a $1 1988A in circulation shortly before I started collecting a year ago. I thought about saving it but ended up spending it somewhere. Now wish I had saved it. :) Nice finds. I haven't seen a 2009 yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted