Two new arrivals

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Jun 19, 2019.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Two new arrivals today that I am very pleased with, but for rather different reasons.

First up:
    Antoninus Pius Denarius.png
    Sear 4066 RIC III 127
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP / COS IIII
    152-153AD, 2.73g, 18mm

My only Antoninus coin was an Antioch SC bronze in middling condition, so I was looking for a better quality example and this ticked all the boxes; good grade, excellent portraiture for a denarius and some lovely toning. I can happily overlook the few issues and for me it's overall a winner of a coin.

Secondly:
    Trajan Sestertius.png
    RIC II (Trajan) 627 - Sestertius
    IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS VI PP /
    FORTVNAE REDVCI SC
    112-114AD, 26.7g, 33mm

This one's a completely different proposition. Incredibly worn and with many flaws, this coin has been for sale, I think, since I started collecting somewhere around last November. Every time I browsed what was available I was drawn to the mottled and varied tone of the patina. For obvious reasons I rejected the coin each time, and yet I was drawn back to it again and again. Now it's in my hand, I can happily say that my prediction that it would be even better in the flesh has come true, and what I have is a patina that resembles a wood burr or burl pattern that actually shifts in appearance when viewed from different angles in the light.

Please share both your all rounder coin picks, and your coins that were purchased for one very specific detail.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Sweet Antoninus Pius. My second ancient coin ever was an Antoninus Pius denarius. Here's my current ones.

Antoninus Pius denarius Salus (1).jpeg pius 6.jpg

cmezner, Limes, bcuda and 18 others like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

A couple of good coins there. I like the Trajan portrait very much.

thejewk likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That Antoninus Pius is great and the Trajan has a nice looking portrait. Good additions :)

thejewk likes this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice additions! :)

thejewk likes this.
  7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nice looking coins!.....I can see the appeal of the Trajan..
    1-pius.jpg
    Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161) AR denarius, struck AD 145-161. Rome mint.
    Obverse..ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP,(Antoninus Augustus Pius Father of the people) laureate head right
    Reverse..TR POT COS IIII,(Tribune of the people 4 times Consul) Liberalitas standing left, holding abacus and cornucopiae, LIB IIII across the fields.
    RIC 155 type 1
    1-normal_trajtogether.jpg
    Trajan ar Denarius 98-117AD 20mm/2.66gr (Minted 103-111AD)
    Obverse-IMPTRAIANO AVG GER DAC PMTRP laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder
    Reverse-COS VPPS PQR OPTIMO PRINC Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae.
    RIC II# 118

cmezner, Limes, bcuda and 12 others like this.
  8. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice pickups. I have an Antoninus Pius with the same RIC reference number, but I think I like the portrait on yours a little more than mine.

25BEC9D5-225D-4E08-987C-971972FF709E.jpeg
    Antoninus Pius, AR Denarius, (19mm, 3.41 gm) Rome Mint, Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P, Laureate head right.
    Rev: COS IIII ; Aequitas standing left, holding scales and rod.
    RIC III 127

cmezner, Limes, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice additions. That portrait of Pius is great!

001_019.JPG 041.JPG

cmezner, Limes, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  10. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg Just picked up this Maximian coin 286- 305.

Spaniard, Limes, thejewk and 6 others like this.
  11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting coins @thejewk . I went to a coin show this year and there were no ancient dealers...... so I found this one in a non-ancient dealer. The price was modest and it is a large bronze.
    DSCN2262.JPG DSCN2266.JPG

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice acquisitions, @thejewk ! Well done!

thejewk likes this.
  13. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Nice coins. Just imagine all the transactions and myriad purchases your sestertius must have seen!!! It reminds me of a great book by Roberto Angela called "The Reach Of Rome", which chronicles the travel of a Trajan sestertius as it is used in daily commerce and travel through the whole empire in the 2nd century.

thejewk likes this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice coins @thejewk ! Here is my Trajan Fortuna Redux sestertius by way of pile-on :)
    737814E4-16F2-441D-821A-CA7FB32C28D0.jpeg

15. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

he always seems to have mesmerizing eyes. This is mine; even though the reverse is quite worn, I like his portrait:

Antoninus Pius, Sestertius, Rome, 153 – 154 AD
    30 x 33.5 mm, 21.20 g
    Ref.: RIC III 914; Cohen II 454; BMCRE IV 1939; Strack III 1091

Ob.: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P XVII, laureate head of Antoninus Pius, right; draped on left shoulder
    Rev.: INDVLGENTIA AVG COS IIII, Indulgentia, draped, seated left, extending right hand and holding transverse scepter in left; in ex. (SC)
    upload_2019-9-1_1-10-8.png upload_2019-9-1_1-11-8.png

Spaniard, Orfew, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  16. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new additions. That AP looks really fine. Here are my two AP's:

29.3 AP.png
    29.1 no tekst.png

Draft saved Draft deleted