Featured Two new Alexandria tets- Commodus and Hadrian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shea19, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I recently added 2 new tetradrachms from Alexandria...I've just started getting into these this year after seeing so many posted here, and I really like these two new additions.

The first coin is of Commodus from the Dattari Collection, and it has a very interesting reverse.
    Commodus.jpg

Commodus, Alexandria, BI Tetradrachm,(24.2mm., 10.19g), circa 183-185 (RY 24 of Marcus Aurelius), Laureate head of Commodus, right/ Rev. Commodus, in priestly attire, standing left before bust of Serapis set on low cippus, sacrificing and dropping incense over lighted altar, L-K-Δ. RPC Online 16005, Dattari-Savio Pl. 207, 9553 (this coin)
    From the Dattari Collection

I especially like the image of Commodus making a sacrifice to Serapis. It's interesting to see Commodus worshipping anyone other than, uh, himself. For political reasons, he may have been trying to show off that he was down with the trendy Eastern gods, and that he had their protection. I was also very happy to add one from the Dattari collection...unlike many famous collections, not all of his coins were in the best of shape (this one certainly isn't), but he found the beauty in all of them.

My other recent addition is of Hadrian...great portrait on this one.
    Hadrian.jpg

Hadrian, Egypt, Alexandria, BI Tetradrachm, circa 136-137 (year 21), (24.5mm., 13.20g). Laureate head of Hadrian, right/ Rev. Demeter wearing peplos standing left; holding corn-ears and sceptre.

My Roman Alexandria "collection" can still fit in one hand, but I definitely plan to keep adding to it.

Alex1.jpg
    Please share your Alexandrians of Commodus, Hadrian, Serapis, or anything else you'd like to add!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Some sweet new tets @Shea19 !

I have this Commodus Alexandrian tet...

[​IMG]

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, Shea, love the portrait on the Hadrian.

Shea19 likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Commodus, Zeus with Thunderbolt

commodus1.jpg

commodus2.jpg

Hadrian Drachm, Nilos Reclining

hadrian3.jpg

hadrian4.jpg

6. ancient coin hunter

Maximinus Daia, Head of Serapis, Alexandria mint

maximinus3.jpg

maximinus4.jpg

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The only Alexandrian I have of this time period is this one of Faustina II:

Faustina Jr Alexandrian Tetradrachm.jpg
    Faustina Jr, AD 161-175.
    Billon Tetradrachm, 13.82 g, 23.2 mm.
    Alexandria, AD 148/9.
    Obv: ΦΑΥCΤΙΝΑ CЄΒΑCΤΗ, pearl-diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: L ΔѠΔЄΚΑΤΟΥ (regnal year 12 of Antoninus Pius), Dikaiosyne seated left, holding scales and cornucopiae.
    Refs: Köln 1944; Dattari 3238; BMC 1317; Emmett 1938.

8. ancient coin hunter

That Commodus reverse is outstanding. Haven't seen the type before - nice score @Shea19 !

Shea19 likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do like the Commodus but am not completely convinced that the figure doing the sacrifice is Commodus rather than some priest. Experts frequently declare the ID of statues that I can not accept so you might just say I am a skeptic. Mine is likely L KE due to a die link with a better coin in RPC online:
    https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/14525
    Mine is doublestruck, lacks the E due to centering and is about what you expect from an Alexandrian tet of that era. I enjoy my Alexandrian coins but many ask questions I can not answer.
    pa0440fd3406.jpg

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Broucheion and Shea19 like this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coins, everyone. Here's my only Commodus tet:
    Commodus - Egypt Tet PRONIA Nov 18.jpg

Egypt Potin Tetradrachm
    Commodus
    Year 30 (189/190 A.D.)
    Alexandria Mint

Laureate head right, MAKOMANTWCEBEVCEB / ΠP O NOIA L-Λ, Pronoia std. left,
    right hand raised, sceptre in left.
    Milne 2691; Koln 2249; Curtis 839; Emmett 2554.
    (10.91 grams / 24 mm)

12. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

All great examples, thanks for sharing.

I really like that double-strike on the reverse of yours, Doug. It almost looks like two totally different faces. I hope that at least one of them really is Commodus. :happy: Good point that we should be a little skeptical, I do often wonder how the experts make some of these identifications.

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Both are very nice, congrats! I have that Commodus reverse type on my want list, and the Dattari provenance you have for yours is always a bonus. A few years ago, when CNG was dispersing the Hermanubis Collection, and I wanted to pick up at least a couple from the sales, a Hadrian and a Commodus were what I ended up with.

Hadrian - Alexandria Tetradrachm Helios ex Hermanubis 2385.jpg
    HADRIAN
    Billon Tetradrachm. 13.36g, 25mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 11 (AD 126/127). Dattari (Savio) 1383; BMC 583 (same obv die); RPC Online temp #5649; Emmett 852.11. O: AΥΤ ΚΑΙ - ΤΡΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑ СƐΒ, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: L ΕΝ – ΔΕΚΑΤΟΥ, Radiate and draped bust of Helios right.
    Ex Hermanubis Collection

Commodus - Alexandria Tetradrachm Zeus-Ammon ex Hermanubis 2386.jpg
    COMMODUS
    Billon Tetradrachm. 12.96g, 25.2mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 27 (AD 186/7). Dattari (Savio) 3900; RPC Online temp #14204; Emmett 2568.27. O: Laureate head of Commodus right. R: Head of Zeus-Ammon right, wearing solar disk and horn; L K-Z (date) across field.
    Ex Hermanubis Collection

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Mint workmanship was at a low during the reign of Commodus, which is unfortunate because he issued some interesting coins. @Shea19's Commodus is much nicer than most coins from his reign, and it is an interesting type.

Here's a recently acquired tet I hadn't shown-- a budget-minded coin from one of Savoca's Blue auctions:

CommodusTet-SerapisFountain-E2556RY30-RT.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Commodus
    Regnal year 30 (189-90 CE)
    Billon tetradrachm, 25 mm, 12.3 gm
    Obv: laureate head right
    Rev: Serapis standing left, holding someting (taenia?) in his right hand; fountain in right field; [L] - Λ above
    Ref: Emmett 2556.30

15. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Pictured below is my only Hadrian Tet from Alexandria, Egypt. It's illustrated in David Vagi's book "Coinage and History of the Roman Empire, Volume Two: Coinage", page 351.

100_0536.JPG 100_0537.JPG

16. ancient coin hunter

Those last few tet examples are great! Interesting types and in excellent condition.

17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is another example of Commodus/Zeus Ammon:

Commodus5AlexandriaZeusAmmon.jpg

25-24 mm. 10.44 grams.
    Year 23 = 182/3.

Geissen volume 3, 2225. Forschner 747-8 for type (but year 27).
    Sear II 5913. Emmett 2568.

Draft saved Draft deleted