Two more Republican bronzes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by red_spork, Nov 25, 2015.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

These are the last two of the bronzes that arrived Monday, both with great provenance. A bit later than the handful of Second Punic War-era bronzes that make up the rest of my Republican bronze collection

minecombined.JPG
    Roman Republic Æ quadrans(18.3 mm, 6.16 g, 11 h). Cnaeus Gellius. 138 B.C. Rome mint. Head of young Hercules right, wearing lion's skin headdress, three pellets behind / CN·GEL / ROMA, prow of galley right, three pellets below. Crawford 232/4; Sydenham 435b. Ex. RBW collection, Ex. Goodman Collection(Privately purchased by RBW in 1996). Very Scarce.

Crawford remarks that the moneyer may be the historian Cnaeus Gellius. Both sides are fairly rough, but the obverse has a really great Hercules that I think more than makes up for the reverse.

minecombined.JPG
    Roman Republic Æ Sextans(6.5g, 19mm). Anonymous(Marcus Durmius?), 189-180 BC. Rome mint. Head of Mercury right wearing winged Petasos, •• above / Prow of galley right; bull standing right and MD above, •• before, ROMA below. Crawford 142/5, Sydenham 299d. Ex. Andrew McCabe, Ex. RBW, Ex. Goodman(Unsold at CNG 45 lot 1333, March 1998). Very scarce

This sextans comes from a period where sextantes were struck in very limited numbers and are very scarce. The moneyer is thought to possibly be a "Marcus Durmius" from the MD monogram.

Click on the image below to see the "bull and MD" highlighted. This one was very difficult to photograph and pick up the bull and MD clearly but once you know what you're looking for it's easy to spot
    rev-annotated.JPG

zumbly, stevex6, TIF and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both nice, but the quadran is my fav. And, now that you poin it out, I can make out part of the bull and monogram.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm with Bing...

I really love that quadrans!

Here's my quadrans....and that stow-a-way bull?:
    RR quadrans.jpg

From an EX RBW listing---Anonymous, Hercules and Prow, 19.8 mm, 3.86 grams; Crawford 56/5, Syd 143c

and my Sextans:
    rr sextans hanniballistic war hasdrubal defeat.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    zumbly, stevex6, TIF and 4 others like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

awesome additions, red_spork (congrats!!) ... both are very cool (man, I love the AE RR examples ... definitely among the coolest coins "ever"!!)

Ummm, here is a pretty cool quadrans ...

Anonymous AE Quadrans Prow & Elephant.jpg

:rolleyes:

=> wow, I love the "number of dots as a denomination" ... very cool

TIF, Bing, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I'm always envious when you post this thing. One of these days I'll find a nice example of one of the "Elephant" series bronzes.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted