Two more Frankies coming.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GUNNER63736, Jan 18, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Well, here I go again. I am an old poot that collects random silver coins that I feel like I made a good deal on, both raw and certified. I am sure you have read that statement from me before, but if you haven't, I just wanted you to have the opportunity of being bored with others that have read my posts. I have no rhyme nor reason to my collection except I just buy silver coins that I like. Yes, I do have duplicates. If you have read any of my rambling babbles before, you already know I collect on the lower end, but I sure do enjoy it. I have these two Franklins coming in that I purchased today. Anybody else out there that collects coins using my methodology? From watching some of the TV shows these days, I think I have become a "COIN HOARDER" instead of a collector. Will continue to do so. I think the wifey agrees. LOL. Not really. She does like my addiction to this hobby. Well folks, have fun.

Attached Files:

Legomaster1, ripple and Skyman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Parts of my "collection" have rhyme and reason :happy:, other parts are just at my whim :confused::cool:.

Some may deny it, but I bet virtually all of us do (I do because I never get rid of any). Sometimes it's inadvertent, as when you buy an upgrade but then fail/forget to unload the previous specimen. ;)

Nice! (I'm in the camp that loves Franklins!) Can't tell from the pics, but is that Philly a type II?

You're doing good! :happy:;)

ripple likes this.
  4. GUNNER63736

Please school me on what a type II is. I haven't a clue.

ripple likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Gunner.... I been collecting that way for fifty years!

6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Sorry, should have been more specific. "Type I" & "type II" refer to the reverse of the coin. Basically, a type I is most evidenced by the normal business strike eagle, whereas the type II manifests the "proof" style eagle.

If you have the 2 side by side, the difference is glaring. If you refer to a Redbook, it will show you the years which have type I & type II versions.

ripple likes this.
  7. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I like collecting by date and mintmark.

8. GUNNER63736

That is also a fine way to collect. I guess I don't have the patience for it, but that is just me. Actually, your way may very well be the best way.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nothing wrong with collecting the way you do. It's all good as long as the wife is supportive. :)

Allan and ripple like this.
  10. ripple

ripple Active Member

I use your method of collecting OP, the only exception being I’m fond of depression era coins but I go for whatever catches my eye. I have a couple of Franklins but nothing that nice. Congratulations on good taste, even without rhyme or reason.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  11. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

You and I are much alike with a few minor difference. While I have nothing against graded coins, the whole "top pop"/ registry challenge just does not interest me in the least. Sure these are very nice to look at, but in my eyes an extra-fine with sharp detail and original surface color is just as pleasing and enjoyable to own. Add to this that the money saved goes towards three or four others at the same price as a single MS66. But yes, I have slabbed coins in my collection.

Where we differ is that I generally start a series a see it through to completion, minus varieties (although I have several bought unintentional). As a series rolls along the key dates tend to slow me down so I'll start another. As an example, I'm four years into the Seated Liberty dimes with 52 remaining. As these are becoming tough to find I've began the Walking Liberty half series at the first of the month. These are going to run progressively from fine to mint state, beginning of the series to the end like wise making for a very consistent set.

Back to your post, great selections. Beautiful. Keep them going.

ripple likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted