Two Minute Greek Aes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Feb 12, 2016.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I seem to have come a across a handful of well-preserved tiny Greek bronzes. Here are two.

AE11 of Myndos, Caria - smallest Poseidon, and a beautiful tiny dolphin, replete with trident and letters MY. Poseidon is crowded against the flan, but his entire face is intact. It's also great that a sea-themed coin has a sea-green patina!

AE8 of Elaea, Aeolis, with the itsy-bitsiest Athena I've ever seen, corn, wreath, E-Λ

2 minutes.jpg

dlhill132, Eng, Alegandron and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

The artistry is just amazing for such small coins. Thanks for posting those.

John Anthony likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

They are both nice and I love the dolphin. It is incredible the artwork of these tiny coins. I just got a silver 6mm coin I haven't posted yet, but it too has incredible detail.

5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Lovely ja, you selling any ?

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

both sweet little greeks...that dolphin is cool, and the tiny athena is great.

here's my tiny greek bronze..

[​IMG]

Magnesia, Ionia. c. 400 BC
    Obv. Laureate head of Apollo left. Rev. Cuirass, M - A in fields. SNG Kayhan 393.
    7 mm 0.5g

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  8. John Anthony

That's an unusually well-centered example of those. Nice find!

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

CoinClubSoap.jpg

Paul M., Jwt708, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

stevex6 and ancientcoinguru like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. It seems like I might be able to make some coin money by producing shirts of various forum-funnies :D

12. Alegandron

Hmmm ... Seamstress, Moneyer, Die-maker... Now Entrepreneur, Marketeer... You are becoming quite the Jack-O-Trades! :D

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm a serial hobbyist :D. The ancient coin collector schtick seems to be sticking though :).

Jwt708 likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Ah! That explains it! Yup, there appears to be a trend of collecting mindsets... I fancy a few Humpty-Dumpty Cast / metal banks and figurines.

TIF likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, if you're cranking-out sweet coin T-shirts, then I'd love a cool purple-blue-red-orange tie-died X-Large T-shirt with a tastefully-sized left-breast-pocket-stitched-logo of a Gryphon-with-wheel (kinda like this) ...

Marcus Griffin b.jpg

=> and on the back, there should be a nude dude riding a dolphin, with a kantharos in his hand (do ya kinda got the picture in your head?)

Calabria Tarentum b.jpg

=> hey Princess, I'm totally joking (please don't spend your day crafting ... you're soooo fricken you, ya know?)

;)

... but seriously though => if you weren't already swimming in coin-cash, I'm sure that you could make "some" coin-cash creating shirts for us coin-nerds (probably not quite enough to buy an AJ-coin => but a fun hobby-income nonetheless) ... hey, maybe that could be a retirement craft-biz?

:rolleyes:

By the way => you absolutely rock!! ... I hope that you have a sweet Saturday (best day of the week "EVER")

AE Semis a.jpg

"S" is for Saturn (Saturday)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    dlhill132, chrsmat71, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks, Steve-O! :) It's going to be another laborious weekend as I prepare another room for major repairs.

First though I think I'll play with coins :D. Time to work on a new coin post!

You folks know that there are several print-on-demand t-shirt places, right? Zazzle.com, for instance. You could drop that CoinClub picture on black t-shirt if you wish :)

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 9.37.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 9.38.01 AM.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    ancientcoinguru, zumbly and stevex6 like this.
  17. Alegandron

Naw, the best print-on-demand shirt is from the Tiffonian Empire! All shirts painstakingly hand crafted from Tiff's sweat-shop! All shirts are hand-made! :D :D :D

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm waiting on the flax to ripen before threshing and spinning the thread. Meanwhile, I have to build a loom. :D

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Alegandron

L
    LOL, yup, that is definitely you!

TIF likes this.
  20. John Anthony

I see you're finally accepting your place. :p

Don't forget the sexy costume...

loom.jpg

21. John Anthony

Random post, since y'all hijacked my thread anyway. A litra of Syracuse I picked up last week. The surfaces are rough, but I liked it because it's centered on both sides, with a very respectable hippocamp...

syracuse 6.jpg

Theodosius, TIF, Pishpash and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted