Two Maxentius types from Ostia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Sep 4, 2020.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Following the loss of Africa and subsequently Carthage by Maxentius, the mint of Ostia was opened around late 308 or in 309 to lift the pressure from the main mint of Rome and spread his new coinage through a gateway port, the main such port of Italy.

The types struck at Ostia are mainly the ones introduced at Rome, with Fides and Castor and Pollux facing being the main ones, in use extensively in the last period of Maxentius reign.

Here are two nice specimens, in very similar preservation state, offered by a French dealer together with other similar material:

maxentius1.jpg
    AE24mm 8.12g follis/nummus, minted at Ostia, ca. 310.
    IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG; laureate head r.
    AETE - RNITAS A - VG N; Castor and Pollux, each with star above cap, naked but for chlamys hanging from shoulders, standing facing each other, each holding scepter with outer arm and briddled horse with inner arm.
    MOSTQ
    RIC VI Ostia 35, C2

maxentius2.jpg
    AE25mm 5.83g follis/nummus, minted at Rome, ca. 310-312.
    IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG; laureate head r.
    FIDES MI - L - IT - VM AVG N; Fides standing left, holding standard in each hand.
    MOSTS
    RIC VI Ostia 45, C

The pattern of oxidation, the patina and the general appearance of the two might suggest that they come from the same deposit/hoard, from either Northwestern Gaul or Britain.

But what would a hoard of rather freshly-minted -- the Castor and Pollux specimen has visible silvering beneath the oxidation and patina -- coins of Maxentius do in Constantinian territory so close to the open conflict between the two and the invasion of Italy by Constantine?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Two nice coins @seth77 and very historical.

4. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

coin-outsider-collection-V6zCkZ-stitched-basic-large.jpg

I like the Ostia mint style. I can't cite sources but I think there is a theory that Constantine combined the Ostia and Rome mints. Some portraits on his SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI coins look very similar to this one.

Marsyas Mike, Edessa, galba68 and 5 others like this.
  5. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice new additions...I really like the reverse types from Ostia, here’s my example:

0EE12CBA-2006-4BA5-BD02-E2473A4C0E6A.jpeg

Marsyas Mike, Edessa, galba68 and 5 others like this.
  6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

When the Ostia mint closed, it was transferred to Arles. There are two rare types issued by Constantine I that mark the occasion of the transfer of the Ostia mint to Arles in A.D. 313. Here is an example of PROVIDENTIAE AVGG that I sold

Constantine I Arles 30 PROVIDENTIAE AVGG.JPG

The other type also issued at the same time to mark this event- VTILITAS PVBLICA (from my photo file).

Constantine I  VTILITAS PVBLICA.jpg

The VTILITAS reverse depicts the mint leaving Ostia, as the prow is pointed away from the soldier, so it is departing; while the PROVIDENTIAE type depicts the mint arriving at Arles, since personification of Arles is greeting it and the prow shows that it is arriving.

Marsyas Mike, Edessa, Shea19 and 10 others like this.
  7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I guess ETERNITY for Maxentius ended in 312.

680BBCD1-513F-47CE-BE58-E4AAB7A169DA.jpeg

Marsyas Mike, Shea19, Edessa and 4 others like this.
  8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

And for Ostia as a mint in 313 with Constantine's re-organization of Italian mints.

Draft saved Draft deleted