Two general star note questions and one specific question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Stevearino, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Hey fellow CTers, two questions about star notes:

1. Other than ebay-sales (crazy stuff has sold there) do many serious collectors save circulated star notes?

2. If so, what is the lowest run number collectors will generally hold onto.

Specifically: ever since joining CT a few years ago I was introduced to the basics of currency collecting. Strange: I grew up searching the coinage in my parents' cafe's cash register every day, but never even considered looking at the currency. In the intervening 55 years I kept looking through change, but never the bills.

The other day I found a series 2006 circulated star note in surprisingly good shape for being around for awhile, with a run of 320,000. I'm sorry I can't post a photo, it's packed for our trip back to snowy Minnesota from sunny Arizona. A saver? Spender?

Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

in good shape, is a general term, how good can only be determined with
    A photo or more accurate description, remember a photo is worth
    A thousand words...Just saying :)

midas1 and Stevearino like this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Generally speaking, modern circulated stars have little value over face. There are exceptions. For instance, a $1 circulated Minneapolis Star is being auctioned now, and there hasn’t been a $1 Minneapolis Star note since series 1995, so many collectors are interested. Also, circulated key stars sell for above face, 2009 St.Louis (H*) and 2013 Kansas City (J*). Every series is different.

It used to be mostly 320K and 640K runs considered low, but now you have 250K, 500K and fluke 80K runs, and more. This $10 star is circulated, and I’m happy to have it at only 64K printed.

A456033C-8413-471F-BB7E-FA1CDC759668.jpeg

Oldhoopster and Stevearino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted