Ebay: Two Fugio Varieties: 1/1 Obverse; Raised Rim Reverse

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by jester3681, Jul 31, 2016.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Good evening all! I have listed two of my Fugios to help offset the cost of my research (read: books) in preparation of the guide I am writing. Both of these pieces are housed in PCGS Secure Holders, with TrueView, and both have the 30th Anniversary labels.

80634380_Large.jpg

The first is a Newman 10-T, graded as Very Good - Details (Environmental Damage). It has corrosion throughout, including some larger voids, but the distinctive 1/1 repunch on the date is clearly visible. Formerly NGC 3428819-004, this Fugio was crossed to PCGS earlier this year. Ownership history is based on Heritage Auctions Lot #3368, 2010 October Stamford Coinfest Signature US Coin Auction #1145: "1787 1C Fugio Cent, STATES UNITED, 1/Horizontal 1--Corrosion--NGC Details. Fine. Newman 10-T, W-6705, R.5. This Cinquefoils variety shows the 1 in the date lying over a horizontal 1, a rare pairing. On the T reverse, the W is too far to the left, piercing the inner ring, and the last E is quite low. Extensive corrosion affects the upper half of the obverse, particularly a small circular patch that has obliterated the first 7. But sufficient detail remains on the adjacent 1 to clearly make out the superfluous digit. Medium brownish-black surfaces overall. Listed on page 83 of the 2011 Guide Book. MRB Good 4. Purchased from Robert Vlack (6/1962). From The W. Philip Keller Collection of U.S. Colonials." I will include the NGC label to provide chain of ownership for the pedigree.

81116933_Large.jpg

The second is a Newman 19-Z, certified by PCGS and graded as Very Good - Details (Environmental Damage). This example has a fine granularity across all surfaces, and is a chocolate brown. All devices are apparent, including the wide date on the obverse, and the raised rim and the larger letters in WE ARE ONE on the reverse, making identification of this variety simple.

Both are on eBay right now, click the images above to view the listings. Thank you!

dwhiz and brandon spiegel like this.