Two final coins and one return for 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Dec 30, 2019.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Got a pleasant surprise today with the arrival of a few coins.

Constantine London 153.png
    RIC VI 153 Londinium
    CONSTANTIVS P F AVG
    COMITI - AVGG NN
    23mm, 3.45g, 310-312 AD
    Ex. Paul Munro-Walker Collection, Roma Numismatics 07/19

Who doesn't love a good Sol reverse? I find it remarkable that coins of this quality are available for so cheap. Also, the second I in COMITI looks remarkably like a Z in the hand, a sign of idiosyncratic lettering from the London mint?

Faustina I Aeternitas Dupondius 1158.jpg
    RIC 1158
    DIVA FAVSTINA
    AETERNITAS SC
    24.5mm, 13.32g, Dupondius, Circa 150 AD
    From London Ancient Coins

After admiring similar examples shared on this forum, I had to get an example of this coin with stars visible within the veil held over Aeternitas' head. It's also rare to find what is so clearly a dupondius in the middle bronze of the era, but the colouring and weight make it unquestionable in this case. A real chunky example.

Finally...
    Faustina I As Returned.jpg
    I had also ordered this As of Faustina from London Ancient Coins, but unfortunately on first examination I noticed a small area in the rim under the bust with a green substance which, when I gentle touched it with a cocktail stick, flaked off. It seems to be a 'bronze disease' victim, and so I have decided to contact the company and request a refund.

Hopefully it will be resolved with speed.

Happy new year to you all!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Nice additions @thejewk ! I especially like the Faustina Aeternitas, it is rather bizarre to think of how many different coins Antoninus Pius struck for Diva Faustina. Hopefully, your returned purchase will be fine. I also wish you a happy new year!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    thejewk likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Some nice new coins to close out 2019. I like the reverse of the Constantine in particular.

thejewk likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice additions!

thejewk likes this.
  6. thejewk

It is, and to my knowledge it consisted of several different and fairly extensive issues over a period of about 10 years. This one was likely minted around the time of the ten year anniversary of her death, although that's far from certain. I hope to build a collection of some different types over the next few years.

7. thejewk

Yes it's a good one I thought, quite dramatic. I am still learning about the reverse types used at this time so I'm frequently coming across things I haven't seen before. I don't yet have the recentish catalogue for the London Mint, but I did get the Spink English Coinage catalogue recently and I'm waiting on another book on the coinage of Roman Britain, so hopefully that will be a good way to explore the types.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely coins, @thejewk ! As you know, I'm partial to the Faustinas. That AETERNITAS with the starry veil is a stunner! Nicer than the British Museum's example, even!

I only have that bronze in the sestertius denomination:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-141.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 26.54 g, 33 mm.
    Rome, AD 150-161.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AETERNITAS, Aeternitas standing left, holding globe and raising above head a starry mantle.
    Refs: RIC 1106; BMCRE 1495-97; Cohen 30; Sear 4610; Strack 1262; Dinsdale 020810.

I also like the Providentia as, despite the bronze disease. It's nicer than mine:

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Providentia dupondius.jpg
    Faustina Senior, AD 138-141.
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 12.07 g, 26.6 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 140-41.
    Obv: DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA, veiled and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AETERNITAS S C, Providentia standing left, holding globe and scepter
    Refs: RIC 1163ab; BMCRE 1459; Cohen 38 var; RCV 4635.

9. thejewk

That's a lovely sestertius @Roman Collector , pleasantly worn and smooth with an attractive patina. Just the kind of sestertius I like.

Roman Collector likes this.
  10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Not sure if your already realize this, but your example is an early and interesting version of a huge issue of Sol reverses by Constantine. There are two things that make your coin stand out: 1) the reverse legend, which differs from the more common SOLI INVICTO and SOLI INVICTO COMITI legends, and 2) the whip in Sol's left hand, which disappears from later issues. Nice score.

thejewk likes this.
  11. thejewk

Yes I'd seen a number of the Solo Invicto coins when I was browsing, and almost went for one of those until I spotted this one for pocket change. I will definitely be picking the other types up with time, but this seemed a good first grab for a London Constantine. Cheers.

Draft saved Draft deleted