two face 1926 lincoln wheat penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mark1962, Jul 26, 2016.

1. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

According to the Mega Red 2017 Redbook, the 1926-D cent was known for weak strikes. One expert attributes it to die wear, while, another attributes it to improper spacing of the dies. Finding a well struck/original color 1926-D cent is rare.

The Mega Red 2017 Redbook has individual analysis of each small cent. So there is a little insight into each individual coin. Like buying a bonus book. Well, for the price it is. But, if you keep an eye on Whitman's website they run specials from time to time. I got the Mega Red 2016 and 2017 editions for the price of one during a special they ran. $50 savings to spend on more coins.

mark1962 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

That is a light trick from the microscope or camera. The color changes at the junction of the field and the face but there is no change to the metal. Just the light, and color.. Fairly nice looking though.

mark1962 likes this.
  4. mark1962

mark1962 Member

But this you can see with just your eyes. All I have is a two power magnifying glass but it was found without was just the naked eye.

5. tomfiggy

I still don't see any doubling. Is the area around the face a trench, raised? Whatever it is, what it's not is a doubled die. I don't beleive anyone would give you much for it.

mark1962 likes this.
  6. mark1962

mark1962 Member

yes I can understand your skepticism. I I have am marking purchase tomorrow with greatcollections and well be send it off and have it graded with PCGS for my own curiosity. I do respect all of you. I'm sure you all know more about these matters than me but you can see this with your naked eye. So it's like having surgery you got to have a second opinion.

7. tomfiggy

It's your money, you will be spending a lot more than that penny will ever be worth.

mark1962 likes this.
  8. mark1962

mark1962 Member

Money I got its time I don't have much of. It's not the penny's it's spending my time doing something that's fun. Right

Mad Stax likes this.
  9. tomfiggy

Absolutely

mark1962 likes this.
  10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

PCGS will grade it but not label it as an error because it's not, in my opinion, an error.

Personally, I won't call a coin an error unless I can describe what happened to it during the minting process.

mark1962 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. mark1962

mark1962 Member

I agree but it's hard to get definitive answer because all you can see is a photo and I don't know enough too give intelligent answer on how it got there. But it's there and it can be seen without any aid. If you looked at first thing that I noticed was the nose and the double chinthat's when I decided to get a magnifying glass to get a closer look

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Well we have been trying to explain to you what you have. You should know the answer by now. I feel that you don't care what we think and you want it to be something spectacular. It's not. It's interesting but nothing major. Do what you want with it. Send it to the TPG.. But please let us know what they say as soon as you get it back.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You seem to be under the impression PCGS is going to give you that "definitive answer", and I fear you're setting yourself up for a letdown. If you don't wish to take to heart any of the views/opinions already expressed here, perhaps this gentleman - @mikediamond - will be so kind as to stop in and voice his.

14. mark1962

mark1962 Member

Before I retired I was a C.W.I on my job. It's not that I don't believe the post that I'm receiving. I was told it was tricks of the light are was made by a damaged die, and I can actually believe that , I don't have no problem with any of the answersI. I just want to learn enough so if I come across it again I'll know exactly what it is.

15. David Setree Rare Coins

But you won't. You'll get a 1926 D cent back in a holder that says VG or whatever and that is all.

16. tomfiggy

It does not matter what it is.... Only what it is not,
    They won't tell you what happened to it, they will tell you it is not a doubled die (if you pay all the extra fees to do research). The first thing to do is read some of the wonderful articles at "error-ref.com", "Coppercoins.com", "doubleddie.com", "http://www.lincolncentforum.com/", "varietyvista.com,and some more I forgot to mention. There are resources for learning about what makes a valuable error coin, and what is a spender. If you search enough you might find out what may, or may not have happened to your coin. We get someone on here almost every day now with a coin they think is a holy grail (myself included). They will get their feelings hurt and usually never come back. The really crazy ones (like me) stay on and keep trying. We get excited at 1:00 AM when we see double from looking at so many coins with so many weird problems.
    Then post it on here only to feel knocked down again. After a while I learned more and at about 9 months of searching a box per month I found my first doubled die. You learn not to take it personally. It's not about you. It's only about the coin, and if you are right or wrong in your attribution.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  17. mark1962

mark1962 Member

Think you for the advice but I have one American eagle and three silver eagles and two Morgan silver dollars I been wanting to be graded so I'm getting a cut in the price by having all five graded

18. David Setree Rare Coins

I was reading here, in a totally different thread, a question on how a common date, common grade nickel would end up in an expensive slab. Here is one example.

Please lets us know what they say when you get it back.

19. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Your welcome. Anytime you can get grading discounts use them. Grading fees are not cheap. I just used your post of a conditional coin to cheaply plug buying a book. I am an unpaid agent of underappreciated numismatic book selling companies across the globe. Do let us know what grades you get.

mark1962 likes this.
  20. It’s been 4 yrs now but legend still has it “Bag Of D Steve” is still tryna ta see Lincoln’s second face This comment is so amazing, might just post it 2 more times so Steve can see that sometimes the (3rd time is the charm) & I’m just (4yrs late to this party) But never the less I still came cause I heard there would be clowns but please do me a favor stop being a “PennyWise” hater

21. It’s been 4 yrs now but legend still has it “Bag Of D Steve” is still tryna ta see Lincoln’s second face This comment is so amazing, might just post it 2 more times so Steve can see that sometimes the (3rd time is the charm) & I’m just (4yrs late to this party) But never the less I still came cause I heard there would be clowns but please do me a favor stop being a “PennyWise” hater

Draft saved Draft deleted