Two Early Seated Half Dimes for the Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

1837 and 1842-O. Neither in high grade but nice additions to my early seated collection.

The 1837 seems to have minor damage at the shield and a die break at 'A' of AMERICA.
    The 1844-O is low grade but still nice I think.

1837 1842-O half dimes obv1 N GP - 1.jpg 1837 1842-O half dimes rev2 N VGP? - 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Nice! I like the bluish toning on the ‘37 half dime. Where did you buy them?

Eduard likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I like the condition as well color on both coins

I like the 1837 nice strike details and color, the mark on the shield is there but forgiving .value in USD 150.
    The 1844 O is an RPD,however I have no listing for it. Want to bet a proof die was transferred between Philly and New Orleans. As the date shows a repunched digits very simular to the rpd 002 1844 pr. Strike. Value usd 80.

Eduard likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Here are my type 1 and 2 1837 dates downloadfile-36.jpg downloadfile-43.jpg

Nathan401, Eduard and tibor like this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Are the varieties Large Date and Small Date?
    That's what I think I see.
    And checking the Red Book I see it lists both.
    I didn't previously know about them.
    Now I have to check the one in my type set.

>> Checking <<

Turns out mine is a Large Date in PCGS XF-45.
    I know this because is says so on the label.
    Apparently I didn't care at the time of purchase.
    NOW you've got me interested.

7. Paddy54

One sorce may refer to them lg, & sm date or curved date / straight date there are several rpd and mpd on the two varieties.

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Paddy, is there a definitive reference for SL Half Dimes?
    I've got the Logan-McCloskey reference but that only goes through Capped Bust Half Dimes.

9. Paddy54

Ok here is the answer....
    In 1837 2 different date punches were used on seated half dimes.
    The number of working dies are unknown...the variations have been referenced by lg, and sm date.
    When in fact the are approximately the same size digits.

Eduard likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No definitive reference, closest is probably Al Blythe's book Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dimes. A couple of online references are Steve Crains Liberty Seated Half Dime Reference collection
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/imagecollection/514182
    Shortcoming on this is although the varities are pictured the descriptive text is brief.

and Clint Cummins Liberty Seated Half dime Attribution Guide
    https://sites.google.com/view/clintcummins/half-dime-attribution-guide
    The Cummins guide is very good but it only includes a small number of the date and mint combinations so far. If it gets finished it shold match the Fortin Seated dime and the Buggart Half dollar books.

Eduard likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Yes I have the Kevin Flynn reference nice book ,I have shared it with other members here who have purchased and are very pleased.

Nathan401 likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Both are very nice additions to your set. A coin doesn't have to be high grade to be nice looking.

Eduard and Paddy54 like this.
  13. Paddy54

@kanga if you like to have a look at this h-10 reference I'll bring it next show.
    You can look it over.

14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@Paddy54, thank you for the invaluable information. You really know your half dimes!
    How about that die break at 'A'. Is that an anomaly, or rather common on 1837 half dimes?

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Nice pickups!

I'm not convinced that's actually damage - it looks more like a minor planchet flaw, such as a lamination.

Eduard likes this.
  16. Paddy54

There's another item on your 1844 O is that for this date there are two mm sizes.and size matters....the op coin is a lg. mm .
    The 1844 O the mm is smaller and the inside is more oval shaped than round like the outside. Mint mark size 0.08mm
    The 1844 O is larger than the smaller one, wiih both outerside and inside are oval shaped . A V-1 1.2mm top to bottom

The 1844 O a better date mintage of 220,000 coins the New Orleans mint record shows 3 obv. dies,and 9 rev dies used for the minatge.

Eduard likes this.
  17. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Flynn has a boatload of guides out.
    I've got his 2¢, silver 3¢ and nickel 3¢ books.
    And I know there are more.
    That many makes me suspicious of how good they are; how good was his research.
    But he co-authored some of them so maybe ....

18. Paddy54

Yes I have several of his books.ihc,h-10,& silver lll.
    There isn't a lot out there .....the old references are out of print seldom found for sale . I have a few out of print books 1 is being put back together in a binder.
    I know there are some on line , I love having my own library to work from.

19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice coins. Original and nice surfaces. I love the no stars design. And the 44 o a tough date

20. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Here are the two I recently found metal detecting 84477BD5-4E4B-4AEC-80D2-114C82DACB08.jpeg

Eduard and Mainebill like this.
  21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice. Maybe don’t clean them so much in the future and maybe start your own thread on them. A lot of us would love to see what else you found

Draft saved Draft deleted