Two Confederate notes: Authentic? Value?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Stevearino, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I have a friend in Norway who is curious about the value of these two notes. My first concern would be authenticity. I have absolutely NO experience with CSA notes.

If you deem these to be authentic (sorry, no reverse images easily available), what is your estimate of their value?

Thanks!
    Steve 80751075-4576-4033-BE77-9BECF508F22A.png

SteveInTampa, Hookman and Oldhoopster like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Nice looking bills Steve. I wish I new more about them.

Hookman and Stevearino like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Steve... I am not an authority by any stretch. I do own some of the very same bills and these do appear authentic to me. They are very common bills though. Back when I got mine many years ago they were extremely affordable though I could not say what they may bring today.

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I’m not an expert, but they potentially look authentic. It appears that you can see some of the signature loops of some adjacent notes along the top margins. These notes were usually signed as uncut sheets and then cut, so some of the signing “flourish” can be found along the tops.

Have your friend check to see if the signatures look hand signed. The signatures of most souvenir notes are printed. Hand signing is not a guarantee of authenticity but will give you a much better indication.

My guess is that these are not rare notes, but I don’t have my references handy. I’m sure one of the currency guys will be along and correct me if I’m wrong. If not, I’ll look them up this evening

Hookman, tommyc03 and Stevearino like this.
  6. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

It has been my limited experience that the relatively common Confed. Bills bring 2-4 times face, depending on condition.
    J.T.

7. whitecollarman

whitecollarman New Member

These two notes should bring about $50 for both.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

From what I can see and from the photo provided they do look authentic. They are both common CSA notes and they are both in poor condition. Numerous reasons exist as to why poor condition.

I would place the value around $15.00 each. If I was offered these at this price I would not buy them. The top bill, the $10 horses pulling cannons, is very common and can be had in an XF condition for about $40.00. I have this one.

The stain on the other bill is a killer for me. When it comes to CSA notes I want the best condition possible.

9. Stevearino

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to enlighten me (and my friend in Norway).

Steve

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You're welcome and I hope we helped.

11. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

SteveInTampa likes this.
  12. Stevearino

Thanks @Hookman for the links. How CSA notes show up in Norway is an interesting question with no answer. But all of the help from you and fellow CTers is very helpful.

Steve

Hookman and SteveInTampa like this.
  13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Are they real? YES!!

Are they valuable? NO!!

The $10 is the most common CSA note around. The other note is common and stained. Both are about $20 on eBay.

14. Stevearino

They are currently selling at auction in Norway; current bid is about $55 US plus 23% buyer’s premium! American coins (and apparently CSA notes) sell well in Norway.

Steve

Hookman and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  15. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the 'Like'!
    Guess we know where to go to sell a U.S. coin collection, if the economy goes South.
    (Of coarse, that's if the world economy isn't affected)
    J.T.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted