Two ancient Indian purchases - last of 2017!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Omegaraptor, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

About a year ago CBD posted a thread asking members to show their El Cheapo coins. In one post, Sallent showed one of his ancient Indian purchases and detailed on how it was one of the oldest coins in the history of the world.

Well Sallent, you sold me.

Around Christmas I got this 1/8 Satamana with a decent amount of detail:

3A7A7F7E-0E4F-4F8F-90DC-72049E98C1F4.jpeg B8D03400-F9AF-49A7-A94B-A404249EEDA1.jpeg

The flip is a bit cloudy for some reason, but whatever. This is an awesome coin. It was made only about 50 years after the invention of coins, by the same society that made arguably the first coins in the world. And I am holding it in my hand.

We’re not done yet - the seller included this Mauryan punchmarked coin as well:

BB55B2B4-90AA-4CB8-BB79-8EDC01FA32FF.jpeg E1ABA7D9-A6DE-43AD-BE15-46DF9039F546.jpeg

I haven’t identified the symbols yet, but this coin was made when Alexander the Great conquered India, making it a great historical coin to me.

Thank you @Sallent for the suggestion! I’ll try to get that bar satamana (50 years older) sometime.

Ed Snible, Parthicus, Jwt708 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Good choices to dip your toes into the waters of the ancient eastern goodies!

There were my first two AR eastern types!

shanasatamanafractional_zps34936314.jpg

102_4889_zps2848485a.jpg

Your may have the same symbols as mine, "GH 574" is a pretty common type!

http://coinindia.com/galleries-maurya.html

4. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

Alexander did NOT conquer india...

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Why the abrasive tone?

6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Ah, whoops, thanks for correcting me.

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

well, according to sources..yeah, he did.. he then handed it back...that is, he did finally defeat the ruling persons army in battle, anyway.:)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Alegandron likes this.
  8. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

The problem here is that the definition of "India" is very subjective. If you are talking about the current boundaries, then maybe. India was very fragmented at this time and some of the areas that were traditionally India was conquered by Alexander...

Alegandron and ominus1 like this.
  9. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

he did not reach much beyond the banks of the indus before being forced by his troops to withdraw.

10. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Great link to the ID of these coins. Does anyone know the silver grade of these coins? I read that they are 20 to 30% copper. Is this true? Thank You

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted