Two Amazing additions to my collection!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wonderful captures @Clavdivs ! Great coins that you got from a great guy, @Justin Lee ! Looking forward to seeing your Rag Tag 12 Caesars. As you have seen, I have a couple of those 12 Caesars sets... basically, they are a Dog's Breakfast of various denominations, conditions, etc. But, they are FUN to have! I enjoy a more creative, more ECLECTIC approach to things. It is more fun to be non-conventional!

I dunno... some time ago, several CT folks were showing some Nero CE 69 Civil War coins. I was not really as interested in collecting during the Imperial period, but now have changed to enjoy some Roman Empire coins up to the Denarius Debacle where Caracalla introduced the Double Denarius - Ant.

I thought the Civil War coinage were gonna be non-reachable. Somehow, one popped up from @Valentinian ; I snapped the Vindex up, as he is a great Seller, was a fair deal, and hit on a cool Historical note for me. I enjoy seeing some of those narcissistic Emperors take a fall...

I was very happy snaring Warren's coin, and content to have my finger on this Historic event. However, SURPRISE, another great deal popped up unexpectedly, and I captured a very hard to get version of the Vindex Denarius. Bizarre that the 2nd one popped up, but I grabbed it!

upload_2020-8-9_15-31-38.png
    RI
    Civil War
    VINDEX 68-69 CE
    AR Denarius
    3.22g
    Gallic mint
    SALVS GENERIS HVMANI Victory l globe -
    SPQR in wreath
    RIC 72 BMCRE 34-36 RSC 420 R
    Ex: @Valentinian

upload_2020-8-9_15-33-35.png
    RI
    Civil War
    Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69
    AR Denarius
    ROMA RESTITVTA -
    IVPITER LIBERATOR Jupiter seated r Tbolt Scepter
    17mm 3.02g
    RIC I 62 RSC 374 R

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm excited for them to arrive, @Clavdivs!!

As I've mentioned on here previously, I have an affinity for Augustus' coinage. Almost 2 years ago, even the concept of owning a denarius of his was foreign to me. There was one being offered in the AMCC1 auction and I went as hard as I could for it within my budget and won it with $10 to spare. It was an amazing feeling to have it in my hands. And I'm afraid I couldn't stop there... I ended up getting a 2nd... And I'm sure a 3rd (with bull or star reverse?) will happen at some point.

[​IMG]
    Augustus, Ruled 27 BC-14 AD
    AR Denarius, Struck 19-18 BC, Uncertain mint in Spain, possibly Colonia Caesaraugusta.

Obverse: CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head right.
    Reverse: OB CIVIS / [SERVATOS], oak wreath with ties upward.
    References: RIC I 40a
    Size: 17mm, 3.68g
    Ex: Ancient and Medieval Coins Canada, Auction 1, Lot #166 (12/1/2018)
    Ex: CT Member @Severus Alexander
    Notes: Banker’s mark (“F”) in left field of obverse, traces of gilding and mount (12 o’clock on obverse). The reverse depicts the oak wreath, the Corona Civica, awarded to Augustus by the Senate for having saved the Republic. (Somewhat ironic!) At the time of issue, Augustus was pursuing vigorous military policy in Spain; in 19 BCE the Cantabrians, from the northernmost coast, were brought under Roman control. 18 BCE saw the first of Augustus’s infamous moral laws, the Leges Iuliae.

[​IMG]
    Augustus, Ruled 27 BC-14 AD
    AR Denarius, Lugdunum Mint, Struck 2 BC-4 AD

Obverse: CAESAR AV[GVS]TVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE Laureate head of Augustus to right.
    Reverse: AVGV[STI F C]OS [DESIG PRINC IVVENT] / [C] L CAESARES•, Gaius and Lucius Caesar standing, each, togate, resting hand on shield and spear, simpulum, left, and lituus, right, flanking, right and left respectively
    References: RIC 210, RSC 43c
    Size: 19.5mm, 3.6g
    Ex: Pliego, 43rd Online Auction (March 26, 2019), Lot #81

Notes: Caius Caesar, born in 20 B.C. and Lucius Caesar, born in 17 B.C., were the sons of Agrippa and Julia, and the grandsons of Augustus. Augustus adopted them and designated them as his successors. As boy’s, they were declared consul elect, princeps juventutis, honored with priesthoods, and admitted to the senate. In 1 A.D. Caius was consul and was sent to Armenia, where he showed talent for both civil government and military enterprise. In 2 A.D., rather than invade, Gaius met with King Phraates V and concluded peace with the Parthians, who recognized Roman claims to Armenia. The brothers seemed destined for greatness. But Lucius, the younger of the two, died suddenly at Marseilles on 20 August 2 A.D. And, on his return from Armenia, Caius was treacherously wounded by a local Roman magistrate, fell into a lingering illness, and on 21 February 4 A.D., at the early age of 24, died at Limyra in Lycia. Augustus’ wife, their step-mother, Livia, was rumored to have arranged both of their deaths to advance her son Tiberius, who was later adopted as Augustus’ son and heir.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Clavdivs

Those are terrific coins! Congrats on adding these to your collection.

Here is a coin I never thought I would own. I believe mine was the 6th known. What makes it special is the left facing portrait. These are very rare for Domitian denarii and no one knows why they should be. I also love it that this coin is a special issue. It celebrates the Secular games. However, this coin is a special prize because I discovered after my purchase that it happens to be the RIC plate coin! Most RIC plate coins are in museum collections and so are unavailable to collectors.

Domitian ric 597 Heritage.jpg

5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Clavdivs, this is Terrific. Congratulations.
    Where perceived inacessibility is concerned, it's like, been there, done that. When I was collecting Roman (...as much as I ever did), the likes of Galba and Otho were off the spectrum. ...Never mind the radar, for a minute.

Clavdivs likes this.
  6. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

A good number of years ago I fell in love with this AS of Germanicus on Ed Waddell's web site. I hesitated and hesitated, and then it was gone. About 2 or 3 years later , it turned up again on his same web site. Needless to say I pounced on it that same day I saw it again, and it was finally mine.

m47875.jpg

Edessa, Johndakerftw, Bing and 6 others like this.
  7. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

That is a really great coin, @octavius.

Clavdivs likes this.
  8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

What a great coin - so well centered and a wonderful bust. I really do love the lettering on those early imperial bronzes .. really special!

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great additions, and great coins all!

Never thought I'd find these (unlisted) FH of Constans. Both extremely rare.
    IMG_4431.jpg IMG_4807.jpg

and have a nice As like this
    022.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted