Two Amazing additions to my collection!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

These two are on the way to me from our friend @Justin Lee .. who is refocusing his collection at the moment. This gave me an opportunity to obtain coins from two Emperors I never thought I would be able to add to my budget collection - EVER.
    Justin was excellent to deal with and gave me a generous "CoinTalk" discount to keep the coins in the family. He is class!

upload_2020-8-9_1-17-47.png
    Galba, Ruled Jun 8 68 AD-Jan 15, 69 AD
    AE23, Syria, Antioch Mint
    Obverse: [IMP SER GALBA] CAE AVG, laureate head right.
    Reverse: Large SC within laurel wreath of eight leaves, fastened at top with pellet, between inner circle and outer dotted border.
    References: RPC I 4315 var (obverse legend), McAlee 314 (same dies)
    Size: 23mm, 8.99g
    Notes: Very rare variety (obv legend), only two known to McAlee, but not this one (?). Does that make this the third known?
    Ex: Savoca Coin Auction, 2nd Blue, Lot #887 (5-3-2019)

Die match with this exact coin from McAlee Collection:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=573121

upload_2020-8-9_1-26-13.png
    Otho, Ruled Jan 15-Apr 16, 69 AD
    AE28, Syria, Antioch Mint
    Obverse: CAE AVG IMP M OTHO, laureate head right.
    Reverse: Large SC within laurel wreath of eight leaves, fastened at top with pellet.
    References: RPC 4318
    Size: 28mm, g
    Ex: FSR Auction, Lot #212 (01-15-2019)

When I finished my coin cabinet I reserved a "12 Caesars" tray ..I left just one spot open in the tray and labelled it "Galba, Otho, Vitellius" .. I just left that one place marker to show the coins I would NEVER obtain to complete the set. Well who knows now?.. maybe someday I will find a sub $100 Vitellius?

Down the line IF I do... I have already named the set "The Rag Tag 12 Caesars"... it would include Divus issues, Provincial, Imperial, various denominations, various metals.. and a lot of honest wear and bargain pickups.

In other words it will be glorious!!

Please post any coins you now own that you once imagined were unobtainable..

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    DonnaML, Edessa, zumbly and 37 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Wow, nice pickups. @tenbobbit sold me a large batch of coins at amazing prices. Most of them I would never have dreamed of purchasing on my budget. Tenbobbit catapulted my collection quality into another universe! I’ll post some tomorrow!

dadams, ominus1, Justin Lee and 2 others like this.
  4. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Great additions! The Otho in my collection is also from the Antioch mint, very similar to yours but a bit more dusty toning.

The coin I thought to be relatively unattainable is something many wouldn’t think of, and I don’t think it’s overly rare, more like uncommon in my neck of the woods.

My Hanniballianus:

68D56EF8-DF55-4ADF-9587-F141756C7006.jpeg

DonnaML, Edessa, randygeki and 18 others like this.
  5. Clavdivs

Quite amazing.. thanks for posting! I would love to see a more detailed photo out of its holder.. but I understand if that is not possible.

Alegandron and Egry like this.
  6. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I’m too chicken to take my coins out of their sealed 2x2s. I’m afraid that the humid climate where I live may damage them, substantiated or not.

I apologize for my poor photos, I’ve been practicing with a tripod and camera but I’m still not quite happy with them (hence the iPhone pics), once I feel I’ve mastered it I may gain the mental fortitude to take my coins out of their 2x2s.

7. Clavdivs

I understand completely... I think I take the worst photos around..

Egry likes this.
  8. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Try making pictures on a scanner, they might come out better in their 2x2s.

Egry likes this.
  9. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

That Galba is a most attractive coin. Alas, Galba and Otho are still on my waiting list.

Clavdivs and Justin Lee like this.
  10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins Clavdius, and a nice gesture by Justin Lee. I like that Otho's portraits resembles the portrait of Galba.

Clavdivs and Justin Lee like this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

A couple I never though I'd be able to afford:

1. Full-strike Aurelian on XXL flan
    Aurelian Milan RIC 135.JPG

2. Quintillus!
    Quintillus.JPG

12. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

13. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

As you probably know, Galba succeeded Nero as emperor, and didn't rule for very long, as your text says. He was assassinated by Otho. There was a ton of political turmoil in Rome at that time and in fact, that year was called the "year of the 4 emperors", Galba being the first of the 4. Very cool coins and I'll bet they're not cheap ones.

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

congrats, nice coins, two guys I do not have

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Neither Galba nor Otho would have been familiar faces at Antioch. I find it interesting how recognizable Galba is here while Otho really looks like a modified Nero rather than what we see on his denarii. This is usual for his Eastern coins. My Antioch Otho tetradrachm probably would sell for a lot more if the portrait resembled the face and wig of the denarii. People want sets and most 12 Caesars set builders would rather have a low grade denarius than a silver coin four times the size of the other coins in their set. As a result, I got the tetradrachm to accompany my fourree denarius but doubt I will ever have a solid and well wigged Otho denarius.
    pb0125fd3470.jpg

rb1180b01928lg.JPG

The coins I do not expect to have are the two I lact to complete my fourree set of the 12 Caesars. Too many people are now willing to pay way too much for the common fourree Caligulas and I have not seen many fourree Galba coins at any price near one I would pay. Solid but poor metal Western mint Galba denarii are not hard to find and probably fill the slot in low end collections where the fourree is used for the Caligula.

DonnaML, randygeki, dadams and 11 others like this.
  17. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

For good measure, with the humid environment, do you store your coins with desiccant silica bags?

18. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

While I can think of some modern coins (16th-18th centuries) that I acquired over the years, which I thought were unobtainable, at least at my modest income level, in the realm of ancient coins, I can think of a coin that was "foundational" to my ancient con collection, that, as a analyst working at a non-profit health care foundation in the early 80's, seemed unobtainable for me at the time. I paid $250 for this coin, which was a lot of money for me, from Harlan Berk, but I was happy to make the expenditure, as a hoard hit the market, dropping the prices down to within my affordability range.

This coin is readily available, but somewhat paradoxically very high in price, both on the retail market and at auction. This coin is none other than the tetradrachm of Athens, 5th century BC.

D-Camera Athens Tetradrachm, First Owl, 440-404 BC, Good VF, 5-12-20.jpg

DonnaML, Edessa, randygeki and 10 others like this.
  19. Clavdivs

Amazing coin.. someday I hope to own one as well.

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Gotta love those tougher 69 AD civil war emperors.

I like both of those, but the Galba especially. There's no mistaking that portrait for anyone else.

DonnaML and Clavdivs like this.
  21. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Yes I do

Draft saved Draft deleted