Two additions to my collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, May 26, 2019.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Hello, i'm happy to share two additions to my collection. They have been on my wish list from the beginning (well, sort of). I'll show both below.

First, Tiberius, RIC 4: Tiberius on quadriga reverse. Despite his reign of over 22 years, Tiberius only produced 2 main types of denarii. Actually, you have to pay attention when browsing through Sear (the only reference work i have on paper - yet...). It's easy to skip the part of the coinage of Tiberius without noticing! The quadriga-type shows Tiberius in a quadriga on the reverse. It refers to the Great Illyrian revolt (6-9 AD) for which he was allowd his triumph in 12 AD. A quadriga is one of the attributes only a consul was allowed to have, like the sella curulis and the toga picta. A fascinating type to me because of 1) its likely the only emperor of which i will be able to completely collect all the denarii and 2) i really like the image of the quadriga.

8a Tiberius tekst.jpg

Second, a dynastic issue of the Severan dynasty. When i first saw the aureus of Septimius Severus with Iulia Domna facing forward between Caracalla and Geta (RIC 175; Harlan J Berk 100 greatest ancient coins # 86), i remembered my high school lessons Latin, and the book which had the famous tondo painting of Septimius Severus and his once "happy" family in it. (The tondo shows the result of the damnatio remoriae of Geta, declared by Caracalla...) Years and years later, freshly infected with the collecting-virus, i decided - a little naive perhaps - i really would like to add dynastic issues of Septimius Severus to my collection, perhaps collecting them all. Little did i know the financial nuclear fire-power needed to accomplish that. And looking at the results of only the denarii that came up for auction, i had little hope of ever gaining just one. Until a few weeks ago, when this not so pretty type appeared. Perhaps that is also the reason the bidding was kind of slow. And even though i had to let a Galba piece go to save up budget for this one, i was beyond excited to actually win this amazing denarius.
    Sear cites 16 denarii (and 15 aureii). My type is RIC 571. I guess there are more types than cited by Sear, because the type cited by him is RIC 571 var. The difference is the bust type of Geta: 571var is draped, and 571 draped and cuirrassed. So, 1 down, 15 to go. Never stop hoping!

03a Iulia Domna Geta tekst.jpg

Thank you for reading. And since this depleted my budget for this year and i would like to stay married, i will hopefully post new coins in 2020!

Please share your coins of Tiberius, or coins with consul attributes, and/or with a quadriga, or dynastic denarii, or anything else you would like.

cmezner, randygeki, Plumbata and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice coins, both are desirable and scarce.

[​IMG]
    Tiberius & Drusus ( 14 - 37 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea-Eusebia
    O: [TI C]AES AVG PM TRP XXXV, Laureate head of Tiberius right.
    R: DRVSVS CAES TI] AVG F COS II R P, Head of Drusus left.
    Caesarea in Cappadocia mint 33- 34 A.D.
    3.47g
    19mm
    RIC I 87; RPC I 3622. Syd 46

cmezner, randygeki, Limes and 6 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Gorgeous acquisitions for your collection, @Limes !

Here's a Tiberius -- a common "tribute penny" type:

Tiberius Denarius.jpg
    Tiberius, AD 14-37.
    Roman AR Denarius; 3.87 g, 18.5 mm.
    Lugdunum, AD 16-37.
    Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, laureate head, right.
    Rev: PONTIF MAXIM, Livia, as pax, seated right, holding long olive branch and inverted spear; legs of chair ornate, triple line below.
    Refs: RIC 28; BMCRE 45; RCV 1763 var.

~~~

And the closest thing I have to a dynastic coin is this mother-daughter pair:

Faustina Jr and Lucilla Mallus.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175, and Lucilla, AD 164-183.
    Roman Provincial AE 28.2 mm, 16.17 gm.
    Mallus, Cilicia, AD 164-169.
    Obv: ΑΝΙΑΝ ΦΑYΤΙΝΑΝ CΕΒΑCΤΗ, bare-headed and dr. bust of Faustina Jr., r.
    Rev: ΛΟYΚΙΛΛΑΝ CΕΒΑCΤΗΝ ΜΑΛΛΩΤΩΝ, bare-headed and dr. bust of Lucilla, r.
    Refs: SNG von Aulock 5725; SNG Levante 1277; Sear Greek Imp 1808.

cmezner, randygeki, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  5. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

AAB-313 OBVP.jpg AAB-313 REVP.jpg
    Here is a coin from Augustus, this coin refers to Augustus Triumph after recovering the lost (by Crassus) legionary standards from the Partians. As a great honor, since Augustus refused a full triumph, his triumphal emblems were carried in the tensa of Mars Ultor and then displayed in that God's temple. RIC #99.

cmezner, randygeki, Jwt708 and 6 others like this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I think I understand why you wanted them both...I want them too !

The following is kind of dynastic I believe

[​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius & Marcus Aurelius as Caesar, AE35 Æ35 minted in Cyprus.
    AVT K T AIL ADP ANTWNINOC CEB E, laureate head right
    M AVPHLIOC KAICAP VIOC CEBAC, laureate, draped bust of Marcus Aurelius right
    27 gr, 35 mm
    Ref : Sear #1523

Q

cmezner, randygeki, Jwt708 and 9 others like this.
  7. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

AAW-304 OBVP.jpg AAW-304 REVP.jpg
    Bronze Coin (AE 22) struck at Ephesus during the reign of Augustus & Livia. Obv. conjoined heads r., of Augustus laur. & Livia. Rev. Stag std. r., quiver above. GIC #183.

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Limes, great denarius of Tiberius in his quadriga.

Here's a Tiberius and a quadriga coin:

P1190350clean2dayl.jpg P1170390.JPG

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is fourree. Unless your photo is very deceptive, so is yours.
    rb0830b00162lg.JPG

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Dynastic or Tiberius? Why not both?
    Fourree Tiberius/Augustus
    rb0900bb0534.jpg

Alexandria tetradrachm Nero/Tiberius
    pa0135bb3029.jpg

11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Augustus, with Tiberius as Caesar. 27 BC-14 AD. AR Denarius. 4.0 gm. Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck 13-14 AD. Obv: CAESAR AVGVSTVS • DIVI F PATER PATRIAE, laureate head of Augustus right. Rev: TI • CAESAR in exergue, AVG F TR POT XV above, Tiberius, standing right, driving triumphal quadriga, holding eagle tipped scepter in left hand and laurel branch and reins in right. RIC I 224; RSC 301; BMCRE 509-10; BN 1690.
    AugustusAndTiberius.jpg

cmezner, randygeki, zumbly and 10 others like this.
  12. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Tiberius & Augustus. AR Denarius (3.50 gm, 12h, 18mm). Struck 13-14 AD. Obv: TI CAESAR AVG F TR POT XV, bust of Tiberius right. Rev: CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE, bust of Augustus right. RSC [Tiberius & Augustus] 2, BMC [Augustus] 507. Very rare. No examples in CNG Research or acsearch.com. A single poor example in CoinArchives.com. Dark toning.
    TiberiusDivusAugustusDenRSC 2.jpg

cmezner, randygeki, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are lovely examples and I'm so jealous! Thanks for sharing @PeteB

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nero and Claudius:
    Nero and Claudius.jpg

15. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Lovely coins everyone! And i'm digging those quadriga's. here's another one of Augustus. Just image cruising that thing through ancient Rome, cheered to by thousands of happy plebs...!

5a Augustus tekst jpg.jpg

randygeki, Jay GT4, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I wonder which is more common (solid or plated)???

PeteB, Roman Collector and Jwt708 like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice additions, @Limes!

Some of the other coins shown in this thread are really nice, too. Just for variety, here's my holed and gilded 'Tribute Penny'.

Tiberius - Tribute Penny Holed Gilded 3136.jpg

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice additions

Draft saved Draft deleted