Twice the value in cattle?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 5, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I did not have a cow/calf of Apollonia so I bid on one online. Then I went to a show and saw another which I bought being unsure of the result of the first. Now I have both. They are very different in many ways so I'll be keeping both. The question is which is your preference.
    One is a very nice coin cleaned to a light tone with full legends and no major faults. The other is off center losing the M (MAAPKOS) on the obverse and SA on the reverse (LY SA NIA). It is pleasantly toned, well scratched and was half the price of the first one. A have not seen as many from this city as Dyrrhachium but both are rather common coins. I don't mind having two. Opinions?
    g01015bb3250.jpg g01016bb3251.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

First one is one of the better ones I have seen. My only example.

[​IMG]

stevex6, Ancientnoob and Gil-galad like this.
  4. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Are the letters under the cattle mint marks / assayers marks / something else? I noticed right away that there's a major difference between the two coins right there.

Personally, I prefer the 2nd (off-center) one. Just speaks to me more, and has a bit more character, I guess.

5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I'm gonna go with the first one with overall appearance. But the second one has more detail on the cow and calf.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Both are nice for the general type, which most often has rather low relief devices. I don't know whether that reflects the shape (depth) of the engraving or lack of adequate fill. The first one wins for eye appeal. Both have higher relief than usual.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Dyrrhachion-illyria-1.jpg

Illyria, Dyrrhachion. Circa 250-200 BC. AR Drachm

OBV: MENIΣKOΣ, Meniskos and Kallonos, magistrates. Cow standing right, looking back at suckling calf standing left below; above, Nike with wreath flying right; thunderbolt in exergue, all within dotted circle border.

REV: Double stellate pattern; ΔYP-KAΛ-ΛΩ-NOΣ around; all within linear circle border.

REF: Ceka 322; Maier 256; SNG Copenhagen 476. VF- grade.

chrsmat71, stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Doug, I like the second coin best even if the reverse is off center. It has character.

Here is my only example:
    Illyria.jpg
    ILLYRIA
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: MENISKOS, cow & calf, Nike flying above with wreath, thunderbolt in ex
    REVERSE: DYR KAL LW NOS around double stellate pattern
    Dyrrachium 70-60 BC
    3.22g, 17mm
    Ceka 322

chrsmat71, stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My face and most of my coins have more 'character' than the rich and famous. I that good?

The monogram obverse bottom appears to repeat the name Maarkos from the top. I do not know the office required to get your name on these coins. The first coin is weaker in strike and detail but as nice as these get in centering. To me it was worth double the one with character.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Hey, Bing. The reverse on your coin needs rotating to the left. NOΣ will be to the left. Not trying to nit pick or anything. lol

11. Bing

I know. But about two months ago, my computer died and I lost all my images. So I've been forced to reconstruct from seller's images which I have saved. I just can't get very excited about re-shooting all my coin images. Talk about days and days of work.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Gil-galad and Ancientnoob like this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

First one's like a good suit you can wear outside without offending anyone. Second one's like that cool but now comfy t-shirt you've had to downgrade to loungewear status. No reason why a wardrobe can't accommodate both.

13. Bing

But how I like my comfy house clothes!
    54f5c551752e0492c7ac421370c142c0.jpg

GeorgeM likes this.
  14. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Hands down number one! IllyriaApollolina2ndcentBC.jpg

15. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Tell me about it. Same thing happened too me. Now back everything up to dropbox.

16. Bing

I have it all backed up in the cloud (whatever that means), so next time I should be able to retrieve my files. But (big but), I still need to find time to re-image all my coins. So for the moment, old images will have to do.

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Doug, fantastic cattle-coin additions!! (gotta love 'em)

... yah, I have a modest example to toss into the cattle herd ...

cow suckling.jpg cow suckling b.jpg

=> oh, and I also have a sweet
    Illyria, Dyrrhachion Brockage error as well ...

Illyria Dyrrhachion Brockage Error.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

GeorgeM, Gao, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  18. brassnautilus

brassnautilus Well-Known Member

My thought exactly, couldn't have put it better.
    First coin looked like the creation of an engineer, second from an artist.

Aidan_() likes this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

if number one was 50 bucks and two was 25 bucks, i'd still go with number 1. the type is on my list. i just want one, and if i had the cash i'd rather have the nicer surfaces and good centering. if i found the second for a great deal, i'd take it however.

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Good answer. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted