Twenty Five Cents:

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coinman1234, Apr 27, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

What do you think? I got these three George III Coppers for twenty five cents each. One is pitted and cleaned, the other is corroded, and one is just dateless.

Left to Right
    1806, 1799, 180?
    IMG_20150425_121514.jpg Better lighting makes the 1799 copper's details pop up more IMG_20150426_085233.jpg

To my bin of antique foreign coins (90% over 100 years old and some slightly later coins that I got because they were pretty cool) every coin in that bin was bought for a quarter!
    IMG_20150426_085721.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Hey for a quarter you can't go wrong. I would love to dig through that bin of yours though. I like that bank of upper canada token on the top.

coinman1234 likes this.
  4. coinman1234

Thanks, When I get the chance I will post some closeups. I have a hundred or so Queen Victoria Canada Large Cents grading from VG to around AU, I have a couple BU Brown Victoria Farthings, some old 1700's cull coppers, a pile of British Large Cents (I only get the ones from before George VI), a bunch of Halfpenny tokens dating from 1812 to the 1850's, and many other cool coins too. It's taken me a couple years to get my bin of coins that big but it was worth it. Ever since I started looking my coin dealer has purposely dropped cool coins in there for me right before I ask for his bin and I have first dibs after he adds new stuff.

rooman9 likes this.
  5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

That's awesome. Glad you have a great friend.

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the 10 cash coins in your bin. I can see a couple of 'em peeping at me!

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Anything that old with the possible history behind it is always worth getting, especially at that price. Nice catch!

8. coinman1234

I'll try to post them soon, there's about 30 or so, I don't know much about them.

9. coinman1234

Here are some ten and twenty cash coins, there are more, these are just the ones that I quickly grabbed.

IMG_20150427_201116.jpg IMG_20150427_201119.jpg IMG_20150427_201139.jpg IMG_20150427_201142.jpg

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

For a quarter each, you made money on all Chinese cash coins. They go for more than a dollar each. There is one that I can see that sells for 10+ dollars.

Trust me, it can get quite addictive!

GSDykes and coinman1234 like this.
  11. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the pics. I've always liked Empire provincial. Crazy 'bout that dragon!

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

You paid very little. These coins are more expensive.

13. coinman1234

Wow! I had no idea, I just got them because they were pretty cool and I like Chinese coinage. I think I missed some in the dealer bin too,

Also, which is the one that sells for $10. I think I will post the rest of them on here asking. Probably in a new thread.

14. coinman1234

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

25 cents? What a steal! I like the middle bright one that looks cleaned. It has great details. You're like me; I also go through my local shops world coins. He sells them to me 6 dollars a pound. So I just sit there for an hour and cherrypick what I want and pay that low fee. I've gotten some great 1900s stuff, but nothing like those old ones you got. I like a old French one I saw in your bin pic. I got an accumulation even greater but I can't resist holderring them, organizing by country/region, etc. If I were you I would holder many of those babies

GSDykes and coinman1234 like this.
  16. coinman1234

It's awesome to see someone else who does the same thing, I love sorting them around looking at each country and region and doing research online about that place. I have been a little lazy lately, I holdered a couple high grade AU-BU Victoria Coins. I still have many more high grade coins that need to be in a 2x2 so they don't get damaged, including a couple nice Halfpennies and maybe that French coin, a 1825 French Colonies 10 Cent coin.

Here are some Canada Large Cents my dealer had in the foreign coin bin, they are in a separate bag and not in my bin of world coins, I counted 120 a while back.
    IMG_20150118_181151.jpg My coin dealer had around 20 Victoria Farthings like this, I got them all
    IMG_20150118_175642.jpg IMG_20150118_175654.jpg

GSDykes, joecoincollect and J.A.K. like this.
  17. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Wow! Those coins are amazing, especially in nice grades like that farthing. I get lazy too sometimes, especially during the workweek. But I like having a bunch of coin tasks pending because it's something to always look forward to.

coinman1234 likes this.
  18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Ok I'll be a bit lazy and copy and paste links instead of trying to find photos from my collection. My collection is in a disarray like the copper coins shown above.

The top two coins are as follow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Yr-13-...pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae6a8aef1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-CHINA-...pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cba00d86

Again price is just an indicative - prices can go up and down.

To simply generalize, 10 cash coins are the most common followed by 20 cash. Other denomination can be rather scarce such as 50 cash, 100 cash, 200 cash, 500 cash, 5 cash, 2 cash, 1 cash (not necessary in this order)

If you need help with ID, my site might help you identify where the coins originate from. http://gxseries.com/numis/china/china_province.htm

Feel free to post more photos or send me a PM. That said, now that you mention that you got each coin at a quarter - I just can't help wondering how much I literally blew over collecting those Chinese coins...

Draft saved Draft deleted