Twenty dollar 'Specimen'?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Suzie, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Suzie

Suzie New Member

From an ATM, I received a $20 bill stamped Specimen. Ive read up, and it Ddoes have a serial number that begins with ML, and a G at the end. Says Series 2013, Treasurer signatory's name is Rios I think. Paper feels funny... different. It is worn as uf been in circulation. Anyone able to tell me what this is? Please, thank you. Im afraid the ATM gave me fake money.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Photos would be helpful.

Hookman likes this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Here's an older thread on this subject.
    Although I have no real answer to your question.
    specimen-bill.204830

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

How about a pic ??

NOS and Hookman like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No good answers without pictures.

Hookman likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Without a photo, I am going to say the bill is fine. And someone with a rubber stamp, just stamped it SPECIMEN to be funny.
    Does it have watermarks and a security thread?

Hookman likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If it was from the ATM at my bank it would be fine. They are required to look at every bill before putting it into the ATM. We need pictures to make a more proper analysis.

Welcome to CT.

Hookman likes this.
  10. XQZZME

XQZZME New Member

I have 2 bills that I found marked “specimen” on the back & “copy money” on the front. I have never see this before. Is this fake money?

11. XQZZME

XQZZME New Member

056E608B-2630-4BCE-A89E-A3A5A98A07BA.jpeg

Attached Files:

George McClellan likes this.
  12. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Obviously 100% fake, but am I to believe an ATM spit that wrinkly, torn up note out from the stacked bill feeder? That's almost as questionable as the note...

13. XQZZME

XQZZME New Member

I’m not the one who got this from the atm. I found these bills on the street. I just didn’t think I needed to start a new thread about an already established topic. My 1st post, in which I stated they were found, w/o the picture has not been posted yet, it is still being approved. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  14. Suzie

Suzie New Member

Okay, that other picture is exactly what it looks like, however it was worn almost through where it says copy money on the front. And yep, PNC ATM at WaWa spit it out. Not do bored of find your forum and invent a question. What could that motive be MEC2? But thank you all for your responses. Except MEC2.

15. XQZZME

XQZZME New Member

I am curious as where did these originate & why was someone carrying it around?

16. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

17. Michael K

I would take a photo of those bills compared to real ones,
    I can only guess the size will be different as well as texture to the touch.
    IDK why it would say COPY and Specimen. As anyone who worked as a teller would not release those back into circulation.

18. Hookman

19. XQZZME

XQZZME New Member

Thanks for the input. They are the same size as a real $20 & only have a couple watermarks, plus they are slightly thicker, not as see-through. My conclusion is they are fake & not meant to be in circulation. I don’t know if they are worth keeping or if I should trash them, especially since they are in such a worn state.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  20. Michael K

It does have COPY MONEY printed right on the note, and not after printing, that seems to be part of the design.
    After reading the old thread from 2012, this is not a "specimen"
    but rather some counterfeit, or play money.

21. Hookman

Draft saved Draft deleted