Featured Twenty Cent Pieces

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Jun 28, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have been interested in 20 cent pieces since I was in high school. Back then I put together a set of the four 1875 and 1876 date and mint mark combinations that I could afford. All of the coins had a readable “LIBERTY” on them although the 1876 was damaged.

Today I have a “Red Book Set” minus the 1876-CC. If I had had the money, there have been a few of those available to me over the years. The worst one was about as black as coal and had other damage. It floated around in various big auctions in the early 1980s. The last time I saw it was in “Auction ’82.” Those so-called “Apostrophe Sales” were held in the same area as the ANA summer convention for a number of years. Stacks’, Rarcoa, Paramount and Superior got together with each firm offering 500 lots.

The best one was graded MS-66, but at $650,000 was a bit out of my price range.

Here is the most expensive and scarcest collectable 20 cent piece, the 1877 Proof. Somebody pushed the prices for these into orbit for some reason a few years ago.

1877 Twenty Cents me 2 O.jpg 1877 Twenty Cents me 2 R.jpg

I veiw this 1876-P to be best 20 cent piece I have. It is graded MS-65.

1876 20 Ct MS O.jpg 1876 20 Ct MS R.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Nice coins, @johnmilton ! I am not a big fan of proofs either, but may I ask why you prefer the 1876-P over the 1877 proof? It appears to have good luster and beautiful pastel colors.

4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I have a single modest example. PCGS XF40.

TwentyCentsObverse.png TwentyCentsReverse.png

NSP and Collecting Nut like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1876-P is just a better coin. It's graded MS-65 and it very high end for that grade. The 1877 is a better date. It's grade is PR-64, Cam. The eye appeal is okay, but it's not a thing of beauty. The color you see is the result of dipping and re-toning.

I acually like this 1878 better. This is also a PR-64, no Camm, but it's an orginal surface coin.

1878 20 Cents O.jpg 1878 20 Cents R.jpg

NSP likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted