"Twentieth Century Coins" collection, and Lincoln Memorial colllection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by barbiemom, Oct 26, 2010.

1. barbiemom

barbiemom Junior Member

moneyJan006.jpg LincolnMemorial Coins.jpg I think I posted this before, but had trouble with the photo, so will try again, I received an estimated value online for a value of $42.00 to $248, for the Silver I posted last time. Anyone know why there would be such a difference? The Lincoln Memorial coins collection is listed in one site as worth $15.00 to $30.00. The Every Coin Minted in the U.S. in 1900-1971 was listed for $38.00 plus. Any estimates from you guys would help a lot. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

It depends on how you tally the coins. I counted $5.50 in 90% silver, but you have the 40% Kennedy and the Warnickel, not that they change the numbers much. With silver going up steadily -- now near $25/oz -- values change, also. Right now, say, $85 in silver.

These coins are neither rare nor valuable nor in high grade. Likely, they have been cleaned and polished. In any case, they were not special in any way. They are worth far more in the boards as a collectible set from the Bicentennial Era. More and more of these are being destroyed as people pull the silver from them. That makes the remainders more valuable.

If you want to sell this right now for fast cash, pull the coins, same as everyone else and get about $100 for them. (Mostly for the silver. The cents are irrelevant.) If you want to have something special in 20 years, do nothing.

Coin boards have become a new collectible. in their own right. So far, the hobby is still focused only on Waite Raymond, early Whitmans, and so on. (See here and here, for instance.) Note that these are for those classic boards, not for these "instant collectibles of the Bicentennial era." Just wait...

Back when he was president of Krause, ANA president Clifford Mishler had a stump speech about the future of the hobby. Specialization and differentiation are natural trends.

Draft saved Draft deleted