TV Coin Shows

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wcoins, Mar 1, 2015.

?

Do you watch TV coin shows?

1. Yes, I like to see coins on TV and even bought coins on TV

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Yes, I like to see coins on TV but never bought coins on TV

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. No, I don't watch coin shows on TV

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Anyone else like to watch tv coin shows?

Which do you watch?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I do watch them from time to time, but you don't have an option in your poll for me.

"Yes, I do watch them occasionally, but the lies they tell makes me want to puke."

Chris

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Out of necessity, they don't have the kinds of coins I'm looking for on those shows. It's always stuff that's ultra-common, and 4 times the price it should be. That's basically the opposite of what I want.

Now, I do enjoy getting to see the occasional coin on Pawn Stars and such, but the shows that are just trying to sell coins directly to the public never resonate with me at all.

Spud Koolzip likes this.
  5. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Rick Tomaska's show is the only one that has any believability

Lanny likes this.
  6. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

In fact I was watching today just because. I also asked myself who pays these prices for these coins? Sure they were nice common coins but the prices were way high. There was even one that was selling silver by the pound for twice melt or close to it. Surely this is for people who have never heard of eBay or the LCS.

Spud Koolzip likes this.
  7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Rick Tomaska's TV coins are grossly overpriced as well.

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I agree, he is very knowledgeable and I own a few of his books, but buying anything off of any tv coin show is just a really bad idea.

mikenoodle likes this.
  9. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Never watched it, what channel is that? Do they broadcast online?

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I believe his show is called RCTV.

11. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I have seen them but I hate how they sell overpriced garbage.
    I recently saw one of them sell this
    [​IMG]

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You can laugh at him if you want, but he has sold more coins in the last decade than every other dealer in the world and is laughing himself all the way to the bank. Most of these guys have made a fortune doing this. I can't say that I agree with their tactics, but they have brought many new collectors to the hobby.

coinman1234 likes this.
  13. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I bought a set of Gold Quarters for a lot cheaper, some said I paid too much but at 0.32 cents a piece I am happy. 1999-2008 US 50 State Quarters Sets - Big Lot - 360 Coins 01.JPG

coinman1234 likes this.
  14. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Start your own TV coin show....

Ethan likes this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That's a nice box. :p

coinman1234 likes this.
  16. mikenoodle

Not even close.

You do realize that he owns a coin shop as well. The show is a pure money making venture, and you overestimate the amount of sales he makes.

Many dealers have sold more coins. Q. David Bowers, for example, has sold hundreds of thousands of rare coins with a total gross sales of over $1Billion.

There are countless others as well. Don't think that just because it's on tv, that it means that they're successful.

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Are you saying that Q. David Bowers has sold more of this tv junk than this guy? image.jpg
    I'm quite certain that you are not saying that, but my earlier post wasn't very clear either. I wasn't trying to say that I respect the way that they work at all, but many of them have sold millions of these sets and have made quite a pile of money doing this for better or worse.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  18. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

What they do not know is that the value of the display case is included in the value of the coins itself.

19. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I watch them sometimes but have NEVER been even close to picking up a phone.

20. mikenoodle

I think that you over-estimate the number of coins Meszack has sold, (I don't think they number in the millions) and that you underestimate the number of coins that Bowers has sold over the course of a career that spans almost 6 decades.

Mike Meszack is nothing more than a carnival barker and much of what he says is exaggerated and often even dead wrong. I would never trust any accounting of what he's sold, especially if he's the one telling you the numbers.

Of course from a quality standpoint, the stuff that Bowers has sold kicks the crap out of HSN's stuff, but I never said that they both sold coins of equal quality.

Dave Bowers has run Bowers and Merena, Stack's-Bowers, and American Numismatic Rarities to name just 3 of his auction houses. And in the ANA auctions of the past two years alone, that has amounted to thousands of coins and millions of dollars from just that single venue.

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Yes I watch them. And yes, sorry to say, I bought some coins from Art & Coin TV when I first started in the hobby. I consider it lessons learned and very educational. I didn't spend too much and have wasted more money on other hobbies, like golf!

I've actually learned some things while watching Rick Tomaska, but his coins are grossly overpriced. His prices on eBay are also grossly overpriced.

Draft saved Draft deleted