Turkish gold coin I obtained for cheap

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by everythingnumis, Apr 20, 2019.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Gold coins are easy to bend, due to the fact that gold is very soft. However, thin silver/ copper ones are also easy to bend.
    Here is my example from Heritage auctions.... lf - 2019-04-20T210546.714.jpg lf - 2019-04-20T210534.949.jpg

Michael K and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. everythingnumis

everythingnumis Active Member

Looking at that coin, the coin I have doesn't look like the same kind of coin though. Different obverse and reverse.
    Your coin has details mine don't have at all.

4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Important point is that the "Toughra" is on obverse, while the reverse has mint name/ AH date. Judging by all types issued by Ottoman mints from 1839 -1922, yours comes closest to my coin. Most other types have more ornate designs.
    John

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Not to pile on but I also don't think it's a coin. Doesn't look like any Ottoman coin I've ever seen. No numbers. Squiggly lines can look like Islamic writing if you're not familiar with it, but to my eye this isn't real.

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This photo is blurry as heck, but you can see the level of detail on a Turkish gold coin compared to yours. This is a 25 kurush that I actually got for 15 cents from a dealer's junk bin because they didn't realize what it was. I've seen several of your posts recently and you seem like someone who is new to world coins but is choosing to jump right in to some of the trickiest areas of the field, with Chinese and Middle Eastern coins. Maybe I'm judging the situation wrong, but if you're new to this I'd suggest starting out by looking through a dealer's world coin junk bins and seeing what's out there. Pick up some stuff that you like and then you can gradually develop your knowledge. If you keep trying to dive into the deep end you're going to get burned. I've been doing this for ten years or more and I still don't mess with Chinese coins, for example. turkey 25 kurush.jpg

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I looked threw my 17th, 18, 19th century Krause World coin catalogs for Turkey. I did not see any coins that looks like that yours.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Having lived in the Middle East, I have several Bedouin burka or niqab (face coverings) on which "coins" such as these are sewn. There are also other coins, Turkish and other states, which are fake silver; any authentic ones are small denomination copper, nickel, etc. I suspect it's meant to represent the wealth of the old Ottoman Empire.

The squashed surface and the uniform hole are the telltales.

And having attended many weddings, this looks like a "coin" that is given away at weddings. I've picked up many off the floor. And if they were indeed gold, they would not be on the floor.

serafino, spirityoda and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I concur with this. It has the look of one of those ornamental costume jewelry pieces. Some do have some gold content, I think, while others are merely plated, or even just brass. This piece does look to at least be gold plated.

serafino and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted