Turkish gold coin I obtained for cheap

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by everythingnumis, Apr 20, 2019.

1. everythingnumis

everythingnumis Active Member

Got this at a coin show today for 24 dollars, yes it has a hole, but at that price I don't mind. I managed to go down from 35 CM190420-160543003.jpg CM190420-160532002.jpg

Noah Finney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What denomination is it? I can't really make anything out.

4. everythingnumis

I'll be honest here, Idk how to tell haha. I've been studying online for ottoman gold coins. Looking at patterns, but that ofcourse isn't enough info.

5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

So how do you know it was really gold? If so, what purity is it? What is the agw? How much does it weigh?

I'd be careful buying something if you don't know what it is. I'd also be suspicious when someone accepts $24 for a $35 list price. 31% off is a pretty huge discount. At that discount, either the guy is stupid, he liked you, or he thinks you're stupid.

serafino likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

7. everythingnumis

Any way to test if gold then? Not like I lost a huge amount atleast.. he did seem hesitant at first to the reduction.

8. furryfrog02

Can you take better/clearer pictures? I have been looking through several online resources and still have not been able to nail it down.

9. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

A dealer can scan it to tell you the purity.

I see a lot of very tiny Ottoman gold coins. 1 gram and under. However, I would just assume there would be some decent numismatic value over spot.

But, I just don't know. Are there any Turkish/Ottoman experts on here who can identify it?

10. everythingnumis

11. furryfrog02

Man, those do not give me a warm fuzzy for it being legit. That being said, I don't know much about Turkish/Ottoman coins. @spirityoda can sometimes work magic with his Krause books. Perhaps he could take a look.

12. everythingnumis

Yeah may be bad pictures though, came out darker than I wanted. The coin in person is brighter and more intense than that

13. everythingnumis

CM190420-181411004.jpg CM190420-181357003.jpg

Would these have a certain ring to them if lightly dropped? I know gold sounds different than other metals. This has a higher pitched ring to it

14. furryfrog02

None of my gold looks like that. If it is gold, I would imagine it is pretty low carat with all that darkness in it. But I am guessing that it is not gold at all. Also, the details on the coin itself are very mushy. Doesn't look authentic.
    https://en.numista.com/forum/topic53967.html

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What does it weigh? Put another coin next to it for size comparison.

16. everythingnumis

CM190420-184700001.jpg

Don't have a scale on hand.

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You could scratch test it. (gasp!)
    If the purity was known, and it was the size of a dime (smaller) you could figure out
    what it was supposed to weigh if it was gold, or if it was too light.

18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Its about the size of a 5 Qirsh from Egypt under Ottoman Sultans. BUT....it has no date, none of the characteristics of geniune coin. The AV 5 Qirsh weighed 0.47g. .875 gold.

Michael K and furryfrog02 like this.
  19. everythingnumis

Damn, okay well thank you for the ID

panzerman likes this.
  20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have over 40 Ottoman AV coins. No matter what the mint city/ all are dated. Mehmet II struck the first gold Sultanis in 14th Century, all where dated AH calender. A AV 5 Qirsh runs about $100 in MS quality.

21. everythingnumis

Are they bendable? Yes I did test it. Bent very slightly.. I'm prepared for people to possibly get agitated

Draft saved Draft deleted