Tunesian Bon pour 1 Franc - not in Std Catalog

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ffrickey, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Today I got a lot of French colonial coins which I've been cataloging. But this one isn't in the Standard Catalog. Now I'm familiar with original French "Bon pour" tokens from the 20s, which the Chamber of Commerce issued because the mint apparently didn't want to bother with small denominations, and they are in the Standard Catalog. But this one from Tunesia is not. Any theories why not?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

So what you have is not "KM# 247 FRANC 4.0000 g., Aluminum-Bronze, 23 mm. Obv: Date within wreath
    Rev: Value within wreath Rev. Inscription: BON POUR (Good For) 1 FRANC Edge: Reeded AH1340/1921(a) Mintage 5,000,000"?

4. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Right you are! I looked through the various rulers, of which Mohammed al-Nasir Bey was ruling in 1921, but didn't know to look further for "Anonymous" tokens. Mea culpa.

5. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

"Bon pour" - coins are not a tokens. After the end of the WW I France hasn't much silver for producing such coins as 50 centimes, 1 & 2 francs. But the French government has supposed that this is a provisional problem. They decided to make a coins from bronze (as the provisional way for a stabilization of their economy). They planned to exchange all of a bronze coins on a silver coins of similar face values in future. The caption "Bon Pour" was the garantee that this bronze coin is equal to a silver coin with the similar face value.
    And that is why a coins with the such caption are not a tokens but normal coins.

6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I have such similar coins.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size: