Tubes or airtight capsules?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hotwheelsearl, Jul 28, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

ive got a bunch of nice silver coins currently stored in plastic tubes. They include a full tube of BU 1922 Peace, half a roll of 1963 Franklin proofs, and a bunch of Panama silvers from back in the day.

Should I leave in their tubes or put them in airtight capsules instead?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Your coins, your call... all depends on your wishes/desires for the coins, but I'm guessing you'd like to avoid any unfortunate happenings, so airtites (or the like) may be your best option, at least for those most important to you.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Damage by friction is unavoidable even when the coins are stored in tubes. Using AirTites, SaFlips or 2x2's are better alternatives depending on your budget.

Chris

Ericred and hotwheelsearl like this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to leave the proof halves in tubes any longer than necessary, especially if it's only half full.

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Both. If you like to look at the coins every once in a while, then I'd say go with Air-tites and put them in a container made to house Air-tites - a tube for your Air-tites! lol

7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll probably out them in capsules. They're pretty coins and it's dangerous to slide them out every time I want to look at them

8. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

I agree. AirTites, 2x2s, even an album to display both sides!

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

FYI, I use Quadrums and use them in 12-pocket archival pages. Quadrums are good in archival pages because they won't turn like the round Air-tites. Air-tites are tighter, but Quadrums are designed to stay tight while easily opened through grooves at the corners. Also, you could use the harder plastic pages designed for the capsules, but they take up a lot more space. And, as mentioned, both sides of the coin can be seen and always on display.

Draft saved Draft deleted