Trying to identify this Nabatean coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LarzMN, Mar 4, 2024.

1. LarzMN

LarzMN New Member

I'm trying to learn more about a coin supposedly sourced from around the Petra area in Jordan.

Looking at pictures from around the Internet, I find the most similarity to specimens I found of "Rabel II with Queen Gamilat", but of the three lines of text on the cornicopea side, I can only read parts of line #2 and it appears as very different text from every other online exemplar I have seen.

I haven't ruled out that this could be counterfeit as its true origin is unknown.

Thoughts?

Carl Wilmont, sand and philologus_1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mcwyler

mcwyler Member

nab.jpg
    I have only one such coin and the inscription is somewhat different. But there seem to be a few. The following paper may be useful

https://www.academia.edu/10893692/The_Coinage_of_the_Last_Nabataean_King_Rabbel_II_AD_70_1_105_6_

4. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

upload_2024-3-5_17-52-45.png

Four letters, from t. to l. : G, M, L, T. That's Gamilat, Rabbel II's queen. It cannot be anything else. The chiseled flan and the general style is typical of Rabbel II. It's surely authentic, I see nothing suspect in this coin.

These AE coins were worth 1 Roman quadrans.

My own 4 Rabbel II coins :

upload_2024-3-5_17-48-29.jpeg

upload_2024-3-5_17-48-51.jpeg
    upload_2024-3-5_17-46-59.jpeg
    upload_2024-3-5_17-47-49.jpeg

5. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

I have just one Rabbel II with Gamilat example:
    upload_2024-3-5_17-26-7.png

upload_2024-3-5_17-34-46.png

This ruler issued very similar types with 3 different women. First, his mother Shuqailat, then his sister Gamilat, and then his wife Hagru. (Alternate English spellings of the names of these 3 queens exist.) Basically, coins with Gamilat are common, with Shuqailat are scarce, and with Hagru are rare.

Here's a link to a CoinTalk thread on which John Anthony shared his examples in a composite photograph chart that can be used to distinguish the types:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-last-nabataean-bronzes.243078/page-3

Draft saved Draft deleted