Trying to identify old 1600s coins-Possible jettons?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by NOS, Jan 8, 2007.

1. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

All three of these coins are on ebay from one seller in three auctions. The seller does not know what these first two are. This first one looks pretty typical until you look at the reverse. Jetton? It is 17mm and silver:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This second one here looks pretty neat and looks to be of jetton style but appears to be dated 1627. Jettons were never dated were they?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This third one is an Italian copper quattrino Charles the VI of Habsbourg coin. I was wondering if this coin was minted this way or if someone at some time cut it into this shape and is thus considered damaged and not worth the $2.99 starting bid?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any info on these three coins would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    NOS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The first one is dated as well - 1688. I can't say that I recognize any of the designs right off, but I do some checking and see what I can find. But my first impression is that they are jetons as you suspect.

As for the third, it does it appear the coin has been clipped, but it is a series I am not at all familiar with so I would hate to say for sure - especially since it was obviously not struck on a round planchet. Checking the weight would be a good start to confirm that.

4. wolves69

wolves69 New Member

I'm not an expert, but the squarish coin might be siege currency. I'm thinking I saw a similar example a while back.

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

After looking at them more and more I am quite certain the first two are jettons. I did not know jettons were ever dated. Where do you see the 88 in 1688 GDJMSP? I can see "16" but no other part of the date. I haven't come across any other examples of the third one on ebay of that ruler but will check other sources tomorrow. Thanks for the help wolves69 and GDJMSP.

6. wolves69

wolves69 New Member

The dated jetons I have are British. My French jetons are not.

The middle pic looks similar to some Polish coins. Again, I'm only guessing. I'll have to dig up my old books.

7. bart

bart Senior Member

The first one is a petermenger (no jeton, but a coin) from the archbishopric of Trier (German States). The mintmaster initials AL for mintmaster Adam Longerich (mintmaster 1678-1683) suggest that this coin must be dated not after 1683. On the obverse the crowned arms of archbishop Johann Hugo von Orsbeck are depicted. On the reverse the figure of St. Peter with key.
    MON(eta) NOVA TREV(irensis) means new coin from Trier.
    IOHA(n) HUGO D.G. AR(chiepiscopus) T(revirensis) means Johann Hugo, archbishop of Trier.

The second one certainly is a coin also, but I cannot determinate it right now BRAN can mean Brandenburg?
    The 2 in the orb suggests it could be a 2 kreuzer-piece.

bart

8. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Nos, Bart has already identified the wee rascals you have, so I won't dwell on that. I would however like to dispel the idea you have that french jetons aren't `dated'. While it is true to say that many of the Nurenberg types specifically commissioned for use in France did not bear dates on them, many jetons actually did. I'll try to dig out some of my ones (from the mid 1500's onwards) over the next couple of days and scan them so you can see for yourself. ;)

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It looks like an 88 to me -

Attached Files:

10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I don't know where I said that French jettons aren't dated? In post #1 I said "Jettons were never dated were they?" In my second post I said "I did not know jettons were ever dated." I know very little of jettons and don't collect them as they are not even considered coins so was elated to learn that some were. I saw that part too GDJMSP and thought that what now looks like an 88 to me was some part of a design as it is not spaced and sized the same as 16. I am the current high bidder of the first two coins so if I win them I will be able to take better scans and will hopefully be able to 100% identify them through various sources and with all of your help.

11. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

This coin is from the Italian State of Savoy, minted in 1726. I believe it features Vittorio Amedeo II. It was minted in this shape. I have this exact coin up for auction right now.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted