Trying to figure out why this seller 6k in feedback has not made the FAKE seller list???

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AngelDeath, Sep 20, 2017.

?

Are all these coins fake?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

He is a well known honest ancients eBayer that has been around a long time. I don't see any forgeries.

Why do you suspect something is wrong? You don't say why you believe he is peddling fakes.

4. AngelDeath

Many of you know that I make rings with inexpensive ancient coins (some of you hate it) but I have my limits.. anyway when NEW I bought a coin from this seller working with the coin it was like NO others (I worked with at least a 1000 now) it was more like STEEL then silver.

I believe that these coins are being stamped out on a PRESS it just my opinion.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. David Atherton

Well, I've purchased many genuine coins from him in the past and never had any concerns about his honesty. Is it possible a fake slips by once in a great while? Of course, it happens to the best dealers. Is he wholesale knowingly selling fakes - my answer is no.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    ominus1 likes this.
  6. AngelDeath

Ok so you looked at more than one of his Denarius with the same (picture background) and do not find it odd that they all have the same COMPLEXION?

I don't mind being set straight!

7. David Atherton

Yes. I believe it's an artefact of the photography, not the coins themselves.

randygeki and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Fascinating! :vulcan: You're seeing the properties of the inside of these coins in a way that collectors don't. You're sort of an ancient coin forensic scientist. Is high quality silver softer and easier to cut into than bronze? Do the coins possibly contain nickel which is harder than silver?

GerardV likes this.
  9. AngelDeath

The thicker Golden bronze coins are a beetch.. The coppery bronze easier.. the silver coins are mostly soft (unless the silver chystallizes) sometimes to the point of disintegration.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I have bought from this dealer several times in the past and have always been pleased. I don't believe he knowingly sells any fakes. I looked through his current listings and didn't notice anything suspicious. I do agree that the Tiberius denarius looks odd stylistically, but the styles of these can vary widely. Here are three specimens that I found currently for sale on VCoins, all from the same dealer. Notice how different they look from each other. It's almost as if there were three different celators (which may have been the case).

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/in...right_plain_legs_to_chair/907690/Default.aspx

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/in...livia_as_pax_seated_right/907689/Default.aspx

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/in...right_plain_legs_to_chair/880009/Default.aspx

Oldhoopster, Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a reputable outfit, and the coins are all good. The images just have a weird graininess to them.

GerardV likes this.
  12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I to have bought some ancient silvers from this guy in the past (been a while though). But I have no doubt the coins I bought from him are real, one is a little rough with some chrystalized to it

13. AngelDeath

Well thanks for your honest answers!

Smojo and Mikey Zee like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree. I have purchased a few from this dealer and have been very happy.

GerardV likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I can't go that far. There were several coins that I did not like the look of but most carried a line in the description 'smoothing and tooling'. It happens that those same coins were a good deal cheaper than that coin would be which I take to mean that he is correctly separating the good from the bad. Of the bunch, that Tribute Penny is the worst style and way too light. It may be barbarous but it is not something I would buy. If you make a ring out of it, please report on the autopsy.

GerardV, Mikey Zee, Youngcoin and 2 others like this.
  16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I shouldn't have painted with such a broad brush. I agree that there are coins in his inventory that I wouldn't buy, but if he points out the smoothing and tooling, he's earned my respect. My point is that images can sometimes make coins look fake. I've never been a fan of the grainy, under-saturated look which certain dealers seem to prefer.

GerardV, Mikey Zee and Deacon Ray like this.
  17. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wait, wait wait wait, 2ait a minute you make rings out of ancients? that must look awesome! While it is destroying history it's gotta be pretty darn cool.

Thanks,
    Jacob

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It may look good, but, in the end, making jewelry from Ancient coins will most likely destroy them. Why not use fakes rather than the real thing? I once had a coin necklace where the bezel did not have any negative effect on the coin. However, after a couple of years of wearing it, the oils in my skin destroyed the coin. What a shame. It was a very nice Augustus denarius when I first was gifted the piece. I wish I had a picture of before and after so everyone could see the destruction.

19. Youngcoin

Honestly I was gonna say that at first but I figured I would get ridiculed for it but I can't deny it would be cool in person yes it is destroying history, and they don't make them anymore so it's wrong and a shame but we can't stop him.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Deacon Ray likes this.
  20. David Atherton

To Bing's point, here is a Domitian denarius I rescued from a jeweller a few years ago who was going to make a ring with it.

D392c.jpg
    Domitian
    AR Denarius, 3.10g
    Rome mint, 85 AD
    RIC 392 (R2), BMC - , RSC -
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P V; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XI COS XI CENS P P P; Minerva stg. r. on capital of rostral column, with spear and shield; to r., owl (M2)

A very rare coin, perhaps the fourth known specimen. I'm glad I was able to obtain it before it was butchered.

21. Youngcoin

Your a hero my friend, supercoinancientman.

Draft saved Draft deleted