Trying a New Photo Technique

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikem2000, Nov 2, 2013.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I tried something new today. I have this buffalo with delicate toning that I had a hard time shooting.
    What I did was use two LED lights. One was positioned high, at 10:00 with no diffuser. The second one, I put a diffuser on (tissue paper) and placed it almost right on the coin at around 3:00. I would say it was less than 3 inches from the coin. I thought this gave the best combo of the delicate color and luster.

So for all the great photogs out there, what do you think of the results?

1938 d.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lookin' good! Are you satisfied (photo) as to how it compares (coin) in hand?

4. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Not 100%, the coin has more luster than the photo shows, but the colors are accurate.

5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That looks pretty darn nice.

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It looks pretty good but I think you still need more light on the surfaces of the coin. Any thoughts to using 2 direct lights and 1 diffused? The obverse at 3 o'clock where the diffused light source was placed shows a bright pale chartreuse color. Is that accurate or is it the result of the lighting. I only ask because that color is not evident anywhere else on the coin. The remainder of the coin seems to show a bright lustrous lavender patina with orange-gold highlights.

What I like to do is write a description of the coin after looking at the coin in hand. Then I take a photo and see if the description that I wrote accurately describes the photo. If it varies greatly, I keep shooting. In my experience, Buffalo Nickels are one of the most difficult series to get the colors to show. Jefferson Nickels are far easier to photograph.

Regarding the luster, the photographs are dripping with luster. At a certain level (premium gem), true booming luster can only be appreciated by seeing the coin in hand.

7. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks Paul for the suggestions.

Yes, the chartreuse is there and it is funny you mention that, because that is the very reason, I started messin' around today. I could not get that to show up in earlier attempts, it just washed out. In hand, the braves nose and lips plus the field show the light greenish hues, but as you say, no where else on the coin.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

If that is the case then I would definitely leave the diffused light at 3 o'clock. Maybe try 2 direct lights at 9 & 12 rather than 1 light at 10. You might not even have to add lights. Sometimes increasing your exposure setting will do the trick.

Btw, that is a really beautiful coin. How is your toned herd looking these days?

9. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I'll give it a go....

It has been slow adding coins, I purchased a sports car earlier in the year which put crunch on the funds. The '36 buff is still the pride of the herd. It is really an amazing coin :)

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Way better than my pics , nice coin Mike .

11. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Nice image. You cmight try using a white reflector to get light into the darker areas. Since your diffuse lighting is coming in from the 3:00, but for instance on the reverse the buffalo's face is a bit dark, you could put a white index card reflector at 7-8:00 to shine some light on his face.

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

TY on that tip....... :)

Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted