Try to keep the noise down

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

You are wrong on the law. Let's focus on the piece: You like it and are happy with your purchase. You read the other thread and understand the nature of what you're purchasing. As long as you're happy, I'm happy for you. I respect that you don't want to hear a bunch of "noise" or debate about legality, then please respectfully do not misinform posters about the law. That is in fact what you and others do when you proclaim that the pieces were legally made.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I like mine better:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

lol wow saw the morgan first and thought holy crap! that's a hella of strike,then saw the date,what a bummer!

Eaglefawn likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Thanks for your assessments Jason.........Two Jansco lamps placed at 10 and 2 o'clock. F/5.6 @ 125/sec. ISO 250. I put velum over the lamps to mute the light a bit. I only took three shots.........usually I take upwards of 29 or 30.......back to the drawing board.

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You had me for about half a second CBD :p

Coinchemistry 2012 and C-B-D like this.
  7. green18

I had no intent to misinform. If it came across as such, I apologize, but if Mr. Carr is breaking the law, why isn't he already in cuffs? The Feds read these forums and I'm sure many folks have written to the proper channels to report Mr. Carr's so called misdeeds.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Those settings should be fine. I guess the vellum is muting the light a bit too much. May I ask what your intention was with the vellum? I've never used it before.

9. robec

robec Junior Member

The vellum is used to diffuse the lights. Those little LED lights act like a pin point spotlight without some sort of diffusion.

I use a vellum type paper taped to the end of the LED lighting. You do have to make sure the lights are in the most optimal position so the coin doesn't look muted. I also use a reflector made of the same vellum type paper attached to some poster board.

[​IMG]

Results

[​IMG]

Others may do it differently. Bottom line is to use what works for you.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    green18 likes this.
  10. green18

What Bob said.

It seems that if I use the Janscos without the vellum (or something like tissue paper) the coin gets washed out. Too bright.......

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

1964d "bulk handled" is currently unavailable guys. Better get your high grades while you still can!!

12. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

You know we agree on a lot of things... but this is not a counterfeit, in my humble opinion.

The reason I feel it is not a counterfeit is the US Mint never made a 1964-D Morgan that I know of. How is it possible to counterfeit something that was never made in the first place?

coun·ter·feit
    ˈkoun(t)ərˌfit/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      made in exact imitation of something valuable or important with the intention to deceive or defraud.
    That being said, if someone takes a fantasy or private mint coin and tries to sell it as a genuine US Mint coin, they are committing fraud.

Blaming Dann Carr for enabling someone to commit fraud is like blaming a car manufacture for someone hitting you with a car.

Eaglefawn, Insider, green18 and 3 others like this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Great maybe he's getting ready to do the PL.

14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I just received an e-mail this A.M. that my bulk handled shipped. I hope he's making the E clashed version now. ;)

Eaglefawn, Cascade and dwhiz like this.
  15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Dan Carr's coins sell at a significant enough premium that it pretty much eliminates the likelihood of shysters buying them to proffer off on the unsuspecting.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

We have entire teams of lawyers that we pay darned good money to prosecute people who break laws. We call these people "prosecutors" Can you say "Prosecutors"? Nice try. We even have a whole team of these special lawyers located within a convenient driving distance from Mr. Carr's facility.

What have these "prosecutors" had to say about Mr. Carr's products?

(chirp, chirp, chirp) [sound of crickets]

Here's the rub - the average Joe doesn't get to decide what's legal and illegal. Only prosecutors and judges and juries do, and the defense gets their say too, much as that may annoy you. :rolleyes:

Eaglefawn and green18 like this.
  17. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

If the 1964 is illegal, is the 1947 illegal too? I would consider the 1947 a fantasy piece as well as the 1964.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

And if the 1964-D Morgan is illegal (which it really isn't, although I admit a 'case' can be made that it ought to be), then why aren't the Monaco Rare Coin tribute Brashers, too? They don't have "COPY" stamped on them either. And they're made from fresh blanks, not overstruck.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

And you know Alan that's ok.....as opinions everyone has at least one....and as long as we respect each others option then everything is OK fine.
    I was raised by a parent who at the age of 15 quit H.S. and got a job at the Federal Reserve Bank . For 47 year he worked his way up throughout the ranks. Starting out he was in collections, advanced up to the non cash collection dept. That job involved processing all the checks that came through the Baltimore branch, including fraud! He became a Federal Reserve Agent who was responsible issuing new money into the system , as well as destroying old worn out money. Counterfeits notes as well as counterfeit coins.
    So I was always taught that if wasn't issued by the United States Government .....be it printed or minted it was counterfeit !
    Again everyone is entitled to their opinions well mine goes back to what I was taught by my father.
    In the time he spent working, and for a good many years in my life you never defaced money, be it paper or coinage. You never photographed money not real money. And any item that resembles U.S. money had to be marked or noted" Not Real"," Play Money", "Stage Money" Copy ....etc.
    I am old school and again respectful of others views. To me these pieces that are over strikes on Real U.S. Coinage are fakes, Copies, and defacing U.S. money.
    Other works of his that do not involve the use of coins or Money minted by the U.S. government aka "Host Coins" I take no issue. However as a collector any defacing or altering of notes or coins I do.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think the 1964-D fantasy Morgan is really neat. Looks like DC's quality hasn't declined either...although you can almost make out faint traces of the original coin he over-struck. I think it's great.

Eaglefawn and green18 like this.
  21. green18

Welcome back stranger..........:)

CamaroDMD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.