Try to keep the noise down

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I don't know the guy personally, but he and I share one vice, I too dislike cats.

Paul M., C-B-D and Insider like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm guessing you missed the infinitely schmuckish and lowlife "break your jaw" threat a while back? Dare to say or even suggest anything deemed political, now that's serious, but threats of violence? Apparently not so much.

Paul M. and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  4. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

I have had a number of factual disagreements with Burdette on other forums about his writings. Much of it deals with the intricacies of minting methods. Of course, he believes that he knows all in that regard because he read some things in old US Mint correspondence he dug up out of the archives. He has read about it (drawing incorrect conclusions), but I have actually done it.

One time, for example, we had an argument about how "lathe lines" occur. I stated that lathe lines on a blank hub could still be visible after hubbing. He stated that was impossible and also wrote [referencing me]:

After that, I challenged him to a wager of $5,000 to be arbitrated by a neutral party. I wagered that I could easily demonstrate that lathe lines on a blank hub would still be visible after hubbing. At that point he shut up and wouldn't say another word about it. You can read the whole thread on the NGC forum here:
    http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9100437&fpart=1

Other factual inconsistencies in his writings that I have pointed out include:

1) Die stresses.
    He incorrectly argued that the central bands on a "Mercury" dime were the highest-stressed area of the die and I proved that it was exactly the opposite.

2) Dore bars.
    He claimed that the US Mint complained of high sulfide content in silver "doré" bars from Nevada. I challenged him to produce one single document where the US Mint referred to low-quality silver as "doré". He refused.

3) Non-proof "burnished" US Eagle coins.
    He claimed that this was only a marketing gimmick. I showed that burnishing of planchets prior to striking will improve the appearance and the technical grade of the resulting struck coin.

Paul M. and Cascade like this.
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Does such a thing exist?

Paul M. likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Did you also bet that your Dad could beat up his Dad?

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

As we go through this remember guys, the "bulk handled" overstikes are already "currently unavailable" so I suggest anyone thinking of getting some more "high-grade" 1964d Morgan overstikes do so asap or you may wake up one day soon with that sinking feeling in your stomach ;)

Paul M. likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I can't believe I started this fracas. I only wanted to post some photos and entertain commentary thereof. @dcarr....what ya think of the shots? Leave the lawyers out of it.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

When you started to discuss legality, I thought that was an invitation to speak freely.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Sorry green but the clarification of Dan's overstrikes now being firmly in compliance with the HPA kinda thread bombed you :)

11. green18

Guilty as charged.......:)

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  12. green18

But you guys like the photo, right? devil.gif

Rassi, Paul M., C-B-D and 4 others like this.
  13. Coinchemistry 2012

14. green18

I'm insecure at the moment........I need my 'Blankie.....' devil.gif

You guys are the best. Fight, debate, slug it out, you guys are the best.

Paul M. and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Could you please direct me to exactly where this proof of being "firmly in compliance" is? Not rehash or repeat earlier posts, quotes, or links, but simply point me to exactly where you located this undeniable confirmation. Honestly, I'd very much like to see it.

Blissskr and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  16. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

And the equine was dang near buried.

17. Coinchemistry 2012

Easy - it doesn't exist but is another Carr "fantasy." ;)
    I'm glad that was settled in this thread despite intentional obfuscation by a few posters.

green18 likes this.
  18. green18

The dead horse will live in infamy........

Hommer and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

@V. Kurt Bellman has explained it a few pages back.

20. Coinchemistry 2012

He doesn't have the slightest clue of what he is talking about, and he has proven that over the last two days. You can disagree with case law and interpretations all you want, but to suggest magically that there is a 100% brand new HPA and new rules vindicating Carr is intellectually dishonest at best in my humble opinion.

Blissskr likes this.
  21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Seems pretty cut & dry to me. But hey, I don't have a dog in the "arrest him now at all costs" fight. Plus there's that pesky logic thing that gets in the way of every single argument you usual suspects repeat as nasem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.