Troy ounce question.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JaiChan, Feb 22, 2018.

1. JaiChan

JaiChan Member

Maybe this is another dumb question but Is silver one troy once is a collectible coins? I should ask do people collect them?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Those are one troy ounce silver rounds, containing 31.1 grams of .999 fine silver. They are collectible, but generally just for the intrinsic value of the silver, which is just about $17 per ounce right now. Some older ones have collectibility depending on the topic and manufacturer.

4. JaiChan

JaiChan Member

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Some David Carr designs and early Norfed pieces come to mind.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    TheFinn likes this.
  6. JaiChan

JaiChan Member

I'll check for those. It is possible that 1978 nickel is silver? I just found one look and feel like silver, i even drop to check on the sound .

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

REALLY unlikely. More so than I can even express.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

What 1978 Nickel are you talking about? Nickel is nickel and Silver is silver. Nickel-Silver, or German-silver is actually a copper-nickel alloy and contains no nickel at all, even though some sellers on ebay have rounds of .999 fine GERMAN silver you can buy for less than silver's spot, so it must be a great deal.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

TheFinn tripped over what he was trying to say. "German silver" contains no SILVER, it is a white alloy of nickel, zinc, and copper. All U.S. nickels, aside from the wartime silver/manganese ones, are 75% copper and 25% nickel. In order for there to be a "1978 nickel in silver", somehow a correct sized planchet of silver would have had to somehow get into the bin. I have NO idea how that would happen. I am completely unaware of how such a thing could even exist.

Now, 75/25 Cu/Ni is platable. Perhaps some joker (like me?) might have dipped the nickel for a minute or three in used fixer in a film processing machine and plated it with silver. Been, ahem, known to happen. :Do_O It's more entertaining doing it to cents, though. It's amazing how fast a fixer solution at 100 degrees Fahrenheit will plate a cent. Amazing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    JaiChan likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can't add anymore except to ask if it was dropped tested with a war nickel.o_O

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Does he live near Dan Carr's place? :troll:

12. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Like has been said, really unlikely. But, if you ever believe you have found something like that, DON'T DROP IT, it's probably worth a lot, and dropping and dinging it will make it worth less.

JaiChan likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

As for the first title question, I hate to be a downer, but there are more fakes of private commercial mint silver rounds than there are of government issues. Why? For MANY years, the government simply REFUSED to prosecute for faked private issues. They would only act for faked U.S. bullion issues. It was treated as an "invitation" to counterfeit private mint silver rounds.

serafino likes this.
  14. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Not really a coin but bullion.
    1 ounce silver rounds.
    Yes there are people that collect them.

Draft saved Draft deleted