Trouble with classifying a series 1935 G Silver Certificate with Red Book...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ewomack, Jul 26, 2020.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I'm confused. I have the 1935 G Silver Certificate below, with a motto on the back. In the US Paper Money Red Book 6th edition, on pages 43 - 44, all 1935-Gs are listed as "no motto," but it has two separate entries for these. Bills listed "motto" only start with the 1935-Hs. The first 1935-G, or F-1616, lists a printing of 194,600,000. The second one, or F-1617, lists a printing of 31,320,000. I see no other differences between these entries, so I'm wondering if there is possibly a misprint and F-1617 should actually say "motto" instead of "no motto?"

So is the bill below actually an F-1617? The same page has a picture of a dollar's back with no motto, but its caption reads "Back of F-1617 to F-1621 with IN GOD WE TRUST." So perhaps the picture is also wrong? It's a very confusing page for someone possessing a 1935 G with motto.

Silver01.png Silver02.png

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Your note is an Fr.1617. The motto In God We Trust was added towards the end of the 1935G series. Most 1935G $1 SCs did not have the motto. Late in the run the motto was added. Fr.1616 are 1935G early No-Motto notes and Fr.1617 are later 1935G notes with the motto.
    When I started collecting paper money, I bought a Red Book. I used it for about a month before I ditched it for the SGSS, which is much more detailed.

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

These are the details about the series 1935G $1 Silver Certificate in the Standard Guide to Small-Size US Paper Money. Hope this helps.

09411105-268D-4CBC-B7EB-54CC97047D4F.jpeg

Oldhoopster, ewomack and Penna_Boy like this.
  5. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Thank you @SteveInTampa . So it looks like the Red book that I have (6th edition, dated 2020, which I just purchased within the past two months) must have an error or a typo in it, which is what I suspected, but wanted to confirm. F-1617 should be under "motto" and not under "no motto." Also, the picture on top of page 44 should show a back with a motto, not one without.

The good news is that the bill above has a much lower printing number with a motto, which is one reason I wanted to confirm this. This was probably the best bill in a pile of old bills that came down to me from a deceased relative.

Draft saved Draft deleted