Trivia - U. S. A. Gold Bullion

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

You already know West Point began striking proof gold bullion coins in 1994 and bear the "W" mint mark.
    Do you know that, in 1999, not only did West Point strike a mere 19,919 proof tenth-ounce ($5.00) gold bullion coins but used unpolished proof dies to strike uncirculated 1999 gold pieces carrying the "W" mint mark?

Do you know that same year it did the same thing with the quarter-ounce ($10.00) gold bullion coins? 34,410 proofs were struck plus the uncirculated pieces using unpolished proof dies.

So far there is no record of the mintage figures for either unpolished proof die uncirculated strikes.

Here are some more things you may not have realized about gold bullion issues:

In 1987 Philadelphia made 143,398 proof half-ounce ($25.00) gold bullion coins, but only struck 131,255 uncirculated pieces.

In 1988 Philadelphia struck 76,528 proof half-ounce gold bullion coins, but only struck 45,000 uncirculated ones.

In 1990 they struck 62,674 proof quarter-ounce pieces and only struck 41,000 uncirculated coins. 51,636 half-ounce proofs were struck, but only 31,000 uncirculated pieces.

In 1991 50,840 proof quarter-ounce pieces were struck at Philadelphia, but only 36,100 uncirculated coins were made. 53,125 half-ounce proofs were made, but only 24,100 uncirculateds were minted.

Have you invested in the very low mintage 1999W uncirculated pieces yet or the proof tenth-ounce?

How about the 1991 uncirculated coins?

Clinker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Very interesting Clinker.
    I am putting together a complete set of 1/10 oz. gold but don't have any of the years you mention.I'd better get them soon.

4. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Yep..I know that... I have them all...86-2006 1oz thru 1/10 oz

RickieB

5. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Mikjo0:

Yeah, the scarcity of these gold pieces is getting to be known and the prices will be climbing!

Clinker

6. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thanks RickieB

RickieB:

Good for you! You can be proud for your coin savvy and your collection!

Clinker

7. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Way to go marine.:thumb:

8. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

*******Correction******** I had a phone call this afternoon when posting this. I meant to say that that I only need 9 more 1 oz AGE in order to have them all. Sorry for the typeo!! Hit the post button so I could finish the call. BTW I am talking bout the Uncirc coins...still working on the Proofs as well.

RickieB

9. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

bruce 1947:

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Clinker

Draft saved Draft deleted