trivia - propaganda coins

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

:bow: Some of the Soviet occupied People's Republic of Czechoslovakia post World War II coins were propaganda pieces. They are dated 1954 and 1955. They were issued to commemorate the Tenth Anniversary of the Soviet's Liberation of Czechoslovakia from the Nazi Occupation of WWII. The obverses of the following coins have a Czech lion with a Soviet shield.

The reverse of the 1954 silver 10 Korun (KM40) coin depicts a soldier standing, facing right, and in the background a train and a construction site. Because of the redundancy of the theme of these coins (Czechoslovakia was, at that time, under Soviet occupation)many of these coins gathered dust in the vault of the Czech National Bank including proof 1945 ten koruns. The mintage figures for this coin are: 250,000 for general circulation and 5,000 proofs. In 1999 the Czech National Bank had the satisfaction of melting 65,810 uncirculated and proof pieces.

The reverse of the 1955 silver 10 Korun (KM42) coin depicts a soldier kneeling, facing left, holding a child. Of the original minting of 300,000 business strikes and 5,000 proofs, in 1999 the Czech National Bank melted 95,552 of these offensive coins.

The reverse of the 1954 silver 25 Korun (KM41) coin is the same as the 1954 10 Korun. 250,000 circulation strikes were made and an estimated 5,000 proofs were struck. The Czech National Bank melted a whopping 110,933 uncirculated and proof coins!

The reverse of the 1955 silver 25 Korun (KM43) depicts a standing soldier, facing left, with a rifle in his left hand and a sprig of flowers in his right hand being greeted by a mother and child. 200,000 business strikes and 5,000 proofs were minted. 78,643 of these were melted in 1999.

Let me know if you enjoyed this trivia,

Clinker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Enjoy it, you should post examples though :)

I have some of these coins, most I have yet to photograph...here though is a Czech 100 Korun coin commemorating the 70th birthday of Stalin, I have a 50 Korum as well that looks exactly like the 100 :) Same reverses as the coins you are mentioning.

KM 28 and KM 30

[​IMG]

Also, as I see it, almost all coins are propaganda.

4. Guardian

Guardian New Member

Like Druses said, it would be a lot better with pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted