Trivia - Proof Coins

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Steve,I can guess that 'Prova' can mean both 'Proof' & 'Pattern' in Portuguese & in Brazilian-Portuguese.

Aidan.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Would anyone happen to know when the first proof coins were minted? I was somewhat sure that it was the British that managed to create the first world's proof coins with their new minting technologies around 1800, which pretty soon revolunized most of the European minting techniques and soon the rest of the world.

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

This is the best that I can come up with :D

Source Allgold of Sevenoaks
    Although there were earlier attempts at introducing £2 and £5 coins the modern introduction really only began in 1820 when the first proof pattern coins were struck. Both of these had Pistrucci’s famous St George reverse and were of the same design as the first sovereign introduced in 1817. These coins were struck in extremely low numbers and were not intended for circulation

De Orc :D

5. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

I believe you nailed that one De Orc!

Clinker

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Steve,there weren't any gold 2 & 5 Pounds pieces in 1820.The first of these are dated 1823,but these were circulation pieces.It is the 1826 issue that was a Proof-only issue.The similar situation applies to the 1831 issue.

Aidan.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It was the British alright, but it was much earlier than the 1800's. I believe the date was 1653 and it was a gold coin. I'll have to look it up to make sure.

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Doug,in 1653,England was still using hammered coins,which finally ended in around 1662.The exceptions were the famous English Oliver Cromwell coins of 1656 & 1658.Technically,the Oliver Cromwell coins were pattern coins,but some did circulate.

Aidan.

9. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Clinker: I've said this before. I usually print out all your informative stories or notations about coins. I'll been putting them in a 3 ring binder. It is getting full. I'm spending a lot of money on paper and printer cartridges. There fore are you planning on continuing these educational articles? Where are you getting your information and mostly WHY? If I put all this together into a book form, sell it for millions, will you want a cut of the profits?

10. GDJMSP

You made me go look it up Aidan - it was the 1651 half crown. Charles II was the one with the gold proof, a crown - can't find the date right off, but it was shortly after.

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Doug,the English 1651 1/2 Crown has 2 shields on the reverse,& one shield on the obverse.This coin issue is commonly known as 'Breeches Money',because the reverse design looks like a pair of Oliver Cromwell's breeches.The undated King Charles II hammered coinage was issued between 1660 & 1662 in 3 coinages.

The Crown you must be talking about was Thomas Simon's famous 'Petition Crown'.

Aidan.

12. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Aiden please do try to read the posts!! I never said that there was a £2 or £5 Gold coin produced in 1820 :eek:

Although there were earlier attempts at introducing £2 and £5 coins the modern introduction really only began in 1820 when the first proof pattern coins were struck. Both of these had Pistrucci’s famous St George reverse and were of the same design as the first sovereign introduced in 1817. These coins were struck in extremely low numbers and were not intended for circulation

De Orc :p

13. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Steve,you are talking about Pattern coins there,not Proofs of circulation coinage.Pattern coins are not always struck in Proof.Some of them are Proof-like.The New Hebrides 1967 nickel 10 & 20 Francs Essais are Proof-like.How do I know? I have got a pair of them,which aren't for sale,as they're British Commonwealth coins.

Aidan.

14. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Once again Aiden your ability NOT TO READ WHAT IS THERE ASTOUNDS ME !!

really only began in 1820 when the first proof pattern coins

Please try to read what I have put in the context it comes in and not as you wish it to appear.

De Orc :loud:

15. nyhariel

nyhariel Senior Member

In my country Warsaw Mint produce two kinds of "proof" coins: "proof" as the kind of finishing, called in my country "lustrzanka" (marked in every katalog as L) - it means "mirror coin", taken from polished background and "proof" as the trial strike (model, muster, essai, prueba) named and extra marked "PROBA". For example please see www.numizmatyka.waw.pl/pics/gptlyuqml4_9a.jpg.
    For me Polish coins are placed in the following categories:
    1. circulated coind;
    2. commemorative coins (as the legal tender) in both surface finishing: normal/proof;
    3.commemorative coins (not legal tender - yes, yes!) in both surface finishing: normal/proof;
    4. trial strikes for collectors (minatge about 300 to 30.000 pcs.) in both surface finishing: normal/proof;
    5. real trial strikes (minatge - just a few pcs);
    6. nickel coins, standard surface finishing - mintage always 500 pcs: 250 for museums in Poland, 250 for collctors of Polish Numismatics Society.
    A few years ago Warsaw Mint had satrted production of coins with colour paintings, with precious stones (like amber and others), square plate coins (but not klippa!)... What does it mean for me - another kind of jewellery, nothing more!

Forgive me my bad english - maybe after ten years on cointalk it will be better ;)

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nyhariel:
    Welcome, and thanks for the posting.

17. nyhariel

nyhariel Senior Member

Yes, I know: better late than never...

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I don't think I was asking about proof circulating coins. Proof circulating coins rarely exist in circulation unless it's meant for special minting purposes, i.e. for coin collectors like us.

19. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To nyhariel

Thanks for the info on Polish coins and the website link.

Clinker

20. p91

p91 Senior Member

I'm new to collecting... so pardon if this question is amatuer; I have been hearing about people finding proofs in circulated rolls (ie. pennys, half dollars etc) - how do you tell a coin is a proof and not just a shiney circulation-strike ??

thank you

21. GDJMSP

Some of them are easier to tell at a glance, for example most modern Proofs, at least those since 1973, have cameo devices. They look frosty in other words - the devices look like they have frost on them, just like the grass on a winter morning. But for all the others, the fields of the coin have a mirror finish - you can see yourself in them. With business strike coins you can't do that.

There are other ways, like the mint mark is a rather obvious one. The legends are very crisp on the edges of the letters, kind of squared off. So are most of the devices since Proof coins are struck at least twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted