Trivia - Proof Coins

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

In all probability your collection contains at least one proof coin or proof set.struck in the United States of America or some other country.

Do you know Brazil does not have a word or phrase, written or spoken, in their language denoting "proof"?

All English speaking nations have struck proof coins and/or proof sets or have contracted with other nations' mints or private mints for the striking of proof coinage.

Do you know all coins, including proofs, are struck on identical coin minting equipment? A coin made in Austrailia, France, England, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, Mexico, China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey or any other country minted by their own mints or a coin produced by private mints, such as, Franklin Mint, South African Mint Company, Mietens and Partner Gmbh, Pobjoy or other private mints produce the same quality coins (business strike to business strike) (proof strike to proof strike)? Long gone are the days when countries tried to keep their minting equipment and minting methods secret from each other. There are only a handful of companies who manufacture coin presses, bins, belts, polishing machines, etc.

As to a country's language numismatical reference to a "proof" coin or set; here are a few you may be interested in:

Denmark and Norway numismatists use "M".

Finland coin collectors write "00"
    The French write "FB", but say, "Flan Bruni".

Our friends in Germany write "PP", but say, "Polierte Platte".

Our Italian contemporaries write "FS", but say. "Fond Specchio".

In the Netherlands they write and say, "Proef".

Our Spanish counterparts write and say, "Prueba".

The Swedish collector writes and says, "Polerad".

Clinker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I thought that was a type of camera or film. :p

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Clinker:
    Wow, ya did it again. More food for thought.
    Thanks, I really enjoyed this one.
    But, I thought that the French used Fleur de Coin? Or something like that?

5. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

It is, it is but it is just a lot shinier and costlier than the normal ones!:high5:

Frank

6. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

That is a great trivia 'key' that I am going to save, thanks again Clinker.

In Spanish, prueba also means 'test' or 'sample'.

7. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

Proofs aren't my thing, but I have two as part of my type set (a Franklin and a '64 Kennedy). Still, those were some fun facts.

8. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

I'd love a proof libertad.

Gold or silver.

I've I can think of any coin that looks so much hotter in proof form...it's that one.

9. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thanks acanthite,

for the additional Spanish lesson.....

Clinker

10. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Clinker,in Germany,their pattern coins are inscribe 'Probe',which can also mean it is a proof to test the coinability of the design.Both 'Probe' & 'Essai' are found inscribed on the Namibian 1990 Independence commemorative pattern coins.

The French 'Essai' is another way of saying pattern coin as well.I have 3 Essais from the New Hebrides,which are of interest to me,as the New Hebrides is one British Commonwealth country that changed its name upon independence.

Mietens & Partner,Gmbh & Downie's Ltd. are actually not mints.Mietens is actually a numismatic wholesaler,& Downie's is actually a numismatic auction company.

Here's a website of a private mint that is now striking the odd coin,in addition to its bullion pieces; www.newzealandmint.com

Aidan.

11. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Treashunt....

Thank you...

Clinker

12. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Clinker the Brazilian dealers I know use the Portugese word Prova to donate proof :smile

De Orc :kewl:

13. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

The information I checked says provas are a type of pattern coin and for a coin to be considered a "proof" it must have been struck at least two times from specially prepared dies and planchets at a much slower rate than a normal business or pattern strike. Also the dies are polished after each strike. In the 1901 to 2000 World Coins Catalog (2007) it states that Brazil uses initials for coins in the following grades: very good, fine, very fine, almost uncirculated and uncirculated, but nothing for proof.
    Those dealers you are talking about have knowledge of proof coins and sets made in other countries and Brazil and are taking liberties calling proof coins Provas.

Check out Brazil's listings in the Krause Publication. I will post a trivia soon on Brazilian coinage.

Clinker

14. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Clinker I know what & how a proof coin is produced and I also know that the Dealers I have met in Brazil are aware of the Brazilian Mint designation for proof coins, but not all forign buyers are aware so the use of the Portugese word 'Prova' meaning 'Proof' is deemed a necesity and not a liberty, another term is the Spanish 'moneda de la prueba' (most dealers do speak a bit of spanish)

De Orc

15. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To De Orc

De Orc...

Thank you for your follow-up.

I'd still beware buying a coin called "prova" when seeking a "proof" coin as both Brazil and Portugal only produced a few "proof" coins during the entire 20th century (Brazil struck 38 different "provas."

Clinker

16. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Clinker you seem to be missing what I am saying, I am not saying that they refer to Brazilian coinage but that they use this word to discribe a proof coin be it from the UK, New Zeland or Bora Bora LOL they have to have a word that they can use that a Brazilian would regognise as well as a forign buyer.

De Orc :D

17. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Steve,Bora Bora has never had their own coins.They are using the French Polynesian Franc,but will be changing over to the Euro some time in the next few years.

Aidan.

18. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Aiden did you by any chance happen to notice that just after the Bora Bora comment I had LOL?

De Orc :p

19. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Steve,no I didn't notice.Did you get your email alright?

Aidan.

20. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Sorry about that....

and, thanks for clearing that up. Just curious....what do they call a "prova"?

Clinker

21. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I would imagine 'Prova' LOL but if I remember I will ask when I am back over there next year :)

De Orc :kewl:

Ps this would be the moment you realy do need a good translator LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted