TRIVIA: Mexico's Dual-date 50 Peso Gold Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clinker, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Mexico's Dual-date 50 Peso Gold Coins

This article is strictly focused on Mexico's dual-date 50 Peso Gold Coins (a.k.a. Centenarios). The first Mexican dual-date $50 (U.S.A. Dollar symbol / Mexican Peso symbol / Portugal Escudo symbol) Gold piece was struck as a commemorative coin in 1921 to celebrate Mexico's Centennial of Independence from Spain (1821-1921) and bears those two dates on its reverse in large letters along the rim of the coin to the left and to the right of Winged Victory's (allegorical symbol of the Grecian Goddess Nike) feet. In the background behind the Winged Victory to her left and right are the legendary Ixtaccihuatl and Popocateptl volcanoes. This first gold $50 issue totaled 180,000 coins. This gold coin measures in at 37mm and tips the jeweler's scales at 1.2056 oz. AGW. The Mexico Mint struck this denomination in 1921 through 1931 and during the years 1944-1947. 309,000 original 1947 coins were produced. Another 3,975,654 restrikes (dated 1947) were minted from 1949 through 1972. Add those two mintage numbers and the sumtotal equals 4,284,654. In 1996 the Mexican Mint produced an estimated 300 re-strikes using a re-tooled 1947 die. These are referred to as Specimen strikes and have a semi-proof finish. Very little is known about these Specimens and the exact mintage figure can not be fully verified due to incomplete records at the Mexican Mint. Starting in late 2005 or early 2006, more1947 Centenarios were restruck using a new die. These have a matte finish, thus are readily recognizable as restrikes. Remember that first $50 gold coin bore the two dates 1821 and 1921 as a commemoration of Mexico's Centennial year of Independence. The only $50 Gold coins to bear the two Centennial dates are the 1921s (some numismatic historians believe only the 1821 date relates to the Centennial year, the 1921 date is merely the date of issue). All subsequent $50 Gold coins also bear two dates, but one is the Year of Independence (1821); the other is the year of issue, thus the 1947 regular and restruck coins bear the dates 1821 and 1947. There is no way to ascertain a 1947 restrike from one produced in 1947 except those latter ones with the matte surface and those proof-like Specimen coins struck in 1996. While we are still conversing about the $50 please note: 1921 through 1931 and 1944 through 1947 are regular circulation issues, while the 1943 date, also known as "Tejo", is regarded as a bullion issue on which the phrase "pieces 50 pesos" was replaced with a second "37.5 Gr. Oro Puro". The 1943 gold $50 contains the same amount of gold as the others, but measures 39mm (2mm larger). Here's a photo of the 1943 courtesy of Panda America:

http://www.pandaamerica.com/details.asp?item=469&grp=1&categ=11

Mind you, because the original gold $50 were struck for circulation most original strike 1947s have some kind of wear on them (rubs, scratches, rim dings, etc.) Here's a photo of an original 1947 courtesy of Don's World Coin Gallery:

http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/coine_cs.php?image=nmc3/121-481&desc=Mexico%20km481%2050%20Pesos%20(1921-1947)%20Centennial%20of%20Independence&src=Jason%20Brown&query=Mexico%20km%20481

Here's a 1947 restrike (photo courtesy of USA Gold):

http://www.usagold.com/gold/coins/mexico.html

I found an interesting offer from Panda America on a set of Mexican $50 Gold Centenarios, but I share the link only because they feature photos of the 1921 (first year made) and the 1931(none minted during 1932 through 1942). I only post this link so you can see the two coins. I, in no way, recommend Panda America's sale offers nor do I discourage them:

http://www.pandaamerica.com/details.asp?item=377&grp=1&categ=11

Thanks to USA Gold's website here's a photo of a 1928 $50 Gold Centenario:

http://www.usagold.com/gold/coins/mexican-50.html

Did you enjoy this treatise about Mexico's $50 gold coins?

Clinker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

4. PesoKing

PesoKing El Centenario

Wow I loved your article thanks so much for posting it, it was very informative and answered a few questions I still had about this piece. Interestingly enough, being of Mexican descent, my father originally inherited 5 original "Centenarios," more commonly know by this name, from my grandfather who was a prominent mayor in our region of Mexico. When my father emigrated to the US, way before I was born, he sold everything he had to get here including 4 of these gold coins of which he kept one. Luckily enough he still has it and used it as a reminder to me and my siblings (all born in the US) a little bit of Mexico's history.

The original Centenarios are to many Mexicans a source of pride, but unfortunately with that comes a lot of insecurity, these pieces are extremely valuable, not only for their "weight" in gold but also for their history. People that possess these original pieces are many times harassed and/or implicated in assaults, thefts, robberies etc. My father has had many close encounters with shady businessmen and people whom he once called "friends." Therefore, he doesn't show it to anyone and has seen far too many fakes than he likes to admit. He isn't a coin collector by any means, but man I love this piece! I hope one day I will be lucky enough to own it (being the oldest male as well as a "coin collector")

Thanks again! :high5:

5. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To PesoKing...

Thank you so very much for sharing your heritage, etc. with me/us. Members, like you, can expose the hardships perpetrated by the misinformed, greedy and uncrupulous upon one's legitimate fortunate life's events. Again, "Thank you very much!" :thumb:

clinker

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

7. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To mpcusa:

Thanks for another positive comment on one of my articles...:hug:

clinker

Draft saved Draft deleted