Trivia - Macedonia Mule

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

This is a two-part trivia.

In 2000 Macedonia struck a 1 Denar coin to commemorate the National Bank of Macedonia. Both sides of the coin bear the bank's legend and one side carries the bank's logo design (an ancient Byzantine coin). The opposite side shows a 16th century ornamented cross.

1. The interest in a bank commemorative was non existent, so later on in 2000 the government announced the coin was really struck to commemorate the 2000th year of Christianity. This coin is pictured in 2007 World Coins 1901 - 2000 as KM9.

2. In 2001 an interesting thing happened. During one of the first few months of striking the regular 1 Denar coins (KM2) the cross reverse of the 2000 commemorative was accidently stamped on one of the blank's sides while the reverse of the new regular 1 Denar (denomination side) was impacted on the other side resulting in a beautiful "mule"with two reverses.

If you always wanted to own a "mule", but found them to be too expensive. Here's your chance to own one for less than $10. Now, I don't own one myself ("mules" are not in my collecting interests), Whether you just want to see a picture of it or are truly interested in owning one you can click on www.joelscoins.com/oops.htm (scroll down to the Macedonia coins).

Clinker

Draft saved Draft deleted