TRIVIA - Fugio Cents

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

The Ben Franklin cent otherwise known as the 1787 Fugio Cent was the first coin authorized by the United States of America to be struck.

In the era these coins were struck people called them the Franklin cent because Franklin is credited with suggesting the legends on the coin and the reverse design of the chain with thirteen links. Each link with one of the original thirteen colonies stamped on it.
    Fugiomeans time flies so Franklin suggested the words MIND YOUR BUSINESS be added to the obverse of the coin below the sun dial. The dies for these coins were made by Abel Buell, a New Haven resident.

Be it known that the new colonies contracted with France for the gun powder needed for the Colonial Army and Navy to defend the new nation. Now picture this. The gun powder was shipped in kegs whose staves were held in place with copper bands. There were no steel bands back then, because the bessemer process of making steel did not exist.

They used copper instead of iron, because iron bands could brush one another in shipment or handling and accidently cause a spark that would ignite the powder. As the powder was used up, the copper bands were stored at the armories and military depots.

The early Fugio Cents were the first American coins to be struck on blanks made from military stores. The copper bands were melted and used by Mr. Jarvis at his Broom and Platt Store in New Haven.

Restrikes of the coins are thought to be made from dies created in the 1860s.. These were made of copper purchased for the restrikes and not from copper bands from powder kegs.

Clinker

ThinnPikkins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Clinker,the New Haven restrikes are actually listed in Krause.I've never seen a Fugio Cent,but I have seen a Nova Constellatio Cent.

That is a very interesting posting you've put up.Well done.

Aidan.

4. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thank you Aiden Work. Here's a link to a Fugio Cent

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/fugio_cents/fugio_cents.htm

Clinker

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Clinker,that is a very good link you've posted there.Yes,it also mentions the New Haven Restrikes as well.

Aidan.

6. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

I have to find a link to a coin I'm writing about or hope some member of CoinTalk will post a link or a photo of their coin. I had a stroke affecting my entire left side and cannot take photos of any coins I might have in my collection.

Again my thanks to you Aiden Work.

Clinker

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Clinker,a friend of mine died of a stroke back in September,a week before she would have turned 88.She was as fit as a fiddle for an 87 year old.

Just refer to me as Aidan,please.'Work' is actually my surname.

Aidan.

8. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Aiden:

I'm 71 and had the stroke in Feb. 05, yet each month I get a little better.
    Am doing therapuetic exercises at home on my own. Still have to type with only my right hand, but I can hold down the Shift key with my left forefinger.

I can walk short distances with a two-wheel walker.

Went out for a poetry reading last night thanks to a fellow poet coming to my house and picking mre up. Hadn't been to a poetry reading in a couple years.

That made me feel alive as does being able find bits of coin trivia to share here on CoinTalk.

Clinker

9. pwfletcher

pwfletcher New Member

Here is a link to a picture of a Fugio Cent:
    http://www.fugio.org

10. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thanks...pwFletcher...
    for the image link.

Clinker

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Clinker:
    Sorry to hear that you were/are ill. But, that stroke obviously did not affect your ability to research & write.
    Keep up the good work, it'll keep you alert and happy!
    Thanks for your contributions,
    Frank

ThinnPikkins likes this.
  12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The Bank of New York used to show them off at Wall Street before they all but sold off that historical Bank of New York Building.

Ruben

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

"The Ben Franklin cent otherwise known as the 1787 Fugio Cent"
    I didn't know the other name!
    Thanks
    Frank

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

That is a very nice coin design.I wonder where the connection between the Fugio Cent & Ben Franklin comes from.Perhaps the phrase 'Mind Your Business' could be the connection.

Can anyone please shine a bit of light on this?

Aidan.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Aidan - didn't you read Clinker's post :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted