TRIVIA: Easter Weeks Acoming...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clinker, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Well, Easter Week will soon be upon us. There is, of course, Easter Sunday, which is preceded by Saturday, which is preceeded by Good Friday which, in turn, is preceded by Maunday Thursday.

What's Maundy Thursday? That's Great Britain's (formally England) numismatic connection to us.

What do I mean?

As Easter Sunday approaches, one of the most important holidays in the Christian community, we are reminded of the altruistic acts of Christ.

Let me explain: The Bible tells us Christ washed the feet of His disciples before the Last Supper as a sign of His humility. He also commanded them to love one another. The Latin for commandment is "man datum." "Man Datum" are the Latin root words for the English word Maundy.

In Britain, a tradition was established of giving silver coins to the poor on the day before Good Friday. Legend claims this tradition started with St. Augustine at Canterbury as far back as AD 597. The ceremonial washing of the feet and giving of silver coins on Maundy Thursday, by the monarchs of England, dates back to the time of either King Edward I (1272-1307) or King Edward II (1307-1327). Historians differ on this point.

Traditions on Maundy Thursday have evolved over the years. Samuel Pepys wrote in 1667, "…the King [Charles II] did not wash the poor people’s feet himself, but the Bishop of London did it for him." The washing of the feet was totally abandoned in the 18th century. Eventually, even the Monarchs no longer attended the ceremony, but in 1932, King George V presided as Monarch over the ceremony, and it has become a tradition ever since.

The silver coins given to the poor were, initially, just a part of the normal circulating coinage of the time. The coins originally handed out were the penny (1 pence) and the groat (4 pence). In 1551, the threepence was added, and in 1667, the twopence. It is not clear exactly when silver coins were struck just for the Maundy Ceremony, but we do know there are complete sets of Maundy Money containing silver 1, 2, 3 and 4 pence coins dated 1822.

Victorian Maundy Sets are relatively easy to acquire because they could be ordered from the bank of England or The Royal Mint by anyone who desired to acquire them.

In 1908, with King Edward VII seated on the throne, instructions were given that Maundy Sets would only be available to the recipients involved in the ceremony, the number of recipients would be limited to the age of the monarch, and the recipients would be of the same sex as the Monarch

The number of Maundy Sets to be presented was revised again under Queen Elizabeth II to that of twice the age of the Monarch, with equal numbers of sets being give to both male and female recipients.

Mind you, other changes came about over time. The Maundy Thursdy ceremony was originally held at the Chapel Royal in Whitehall, and later moved to Westminster Abbey. Starting in 1955, the ceremony was hosted at Southwark Cathedral, and then alternated between Westminster Abbey and other cathedrals. Since 1972, the presentations rotate to different a church each year.

Originally the composition of the Maundy coins was .925 fine silver. In 1921, the fineness was reduced to .500. In 1947, silver was removed from all circulating British coinage in favour of cupronickle, but as it was felt to be inappropriate to strike Maundy coins in base metal, their fineness was restored to 0.925,
    With the British currency being decimalized in 1971, the entire Maundy series was revalued as 1, 2, 3 and 4 new pence (still silver).

One of the final changes to the tradition of giving Maundy Sets is they are no longer presented specifically to the poor. The church hierarchy chooses the recipients for selfless acts from those among the congregation.

Though the washing of feet ended after the 1736 ceremony, it was re-instated in the 2003 ceremony, when it was performed by the new Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams.

In 1932, King George V agreed to take part personally in the distribution of the Maundy money. The 1936 set was distributed by King Edward VIII, although the coins bore George V's effigy. By 1953 it had become normal practice for the monarch to distribute the Maundy money, a practice which continues to this day.

On 20 March 2008, Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom made history by holding the ceremony in St. Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh, Northern Ireland. During the service the queen distributed Maundy money to 82 men and 82 women, representing the number of years of her age. It was the first time the ceremony had been conducted in Ireland and only the second time outside England. Will she give out 166 (83 to men, 83 to women) this year (2010)?

All Maundy coins from 1822, remain legal tender in Britain at their stated value in new pence.

Are you ready to Look at some Maundy Sets?

Maundy coins, in proof condition,
    were sold as part of a special silver proof set of all United Kingdom coins in 2000 and in 2006. Gold proofs were also sold as part of a special gold proof set of all United Kingdom coins in 2002, as a commemoration of the Golden Jubilee observances.

Maundy Sets while Charles II ruled:

Both photos courtesy of cartage.org.lb:

1662:

http://cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Art...rld/GreatBritain/MaundySets/1670maundy600.jpg

1679:

http://cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Art...rld/GreatBritain/MaundySets/1679maundy600.jpg

1686 (photo courtesy of davidseamans.co.uk):

http://www.davidseamancoins.co.uk/overview.php?id=1115

James II 1687 Set (photo courtesy of cartage.org.lb):

http://cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Art...nWorld/GreatBritain/MaundySets/MaundySets.htm

1732 Set issued by George II (photo courtesy of cartage.com.lb):

http://cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Art...rld/GreatBritain/MaundySets/1732maundy600.jpg

The reign of George III:

1772 (courtesy of cartage.org.lb):

http://cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Art...rld/GreatBritain/MaundySets/1772maundy600.jpg

1818 (photo courtesy of Wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:George_III_Maundy_1818_73001291.jpg

Did you enjoy this trivia?

Clinker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Another good read. thanks for the info!

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Another good thread, thanks Clinker.

5. krispy

krispy krispy

This one was fantastic Clinker! I very much enjoyed reading this.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

7. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Hi bobbeth87:

Thanks a bunch! :hug:

Clinker

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

very interesting, thanks Clicker

9. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Another great thread Clinker :thumb:.

10. davemac

davemac dave

really enjoyed this post. thanks clinker.dave

11. Interesting read. Thanks for posting it. TC

12. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Hello mat...

Thanks for your positive comment...

Clinker

13. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To mpcusa...

Another big T H A N K Y O U for ypur comment...

Clinker

14. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Good Day to You

and another "thank you" for your welcomed comment!

Clinker

15. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Hey davemac...

I appreciate your comment. :hug:

Clinker

16. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Welcome Topcat

to Coin Talk AND "Thanks" for your positiver comment.:thumb:

Clinker

17. poppa501

poppa501 older'n dirt

Great article! Think I want to participate. My feet are clean, so everyone just send me their useless silver coins. PM me for my addy. Boy, can't wait!

18. Art

Art Numismatist?

Super post. The Maundy Sets are very interesting because of the history and the nice designs of the coins. I have a 3d from a Maundy Set although I don't know why someone would have broken the set.

19. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To poppa501:

Had to personally thank you for reading and giving your first comment on one of my posts: "Thank you!"

Clinker

20. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To Art:

Many sets were broken up because the first Maundy Coins were only two Maundy coins which the wealthy quickly purchased from the few poor serfs who received them free.

The there are the 4 Pence (Groat) collectors. Something that occurs withAmerican and other nation's mint sets and proof sets.

Clinker

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You've out done yourself again Clinker! Thoroughly enjoyed this "read"....:)

Draft saved Draft deleted