Trivia - Barber's Coins

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

You know Charles E. Barber, the sixth Chief Engraver of the United States Mint (1879-1917), designed the long-existing Barber Dimes, Quarters and Half Dollars.

Do you know his middle initial "E" stands for Edward?

Do you know he succeded his father, William Barber, who was the mint's fifth Chief Engraver (1869-1879)?

Do you know the two coins William designed?

HINT: Both denominations were short lived entities.

1. He designed the 20 Cent piece.
    2. He designed the Trade Dollar.

NOTE: He designed a few pattern coins, such as this 1877 silver half dollar, Judd #1528:
    http://store1.yimg.com/I/uspatterns_1907_4804899

Clinker

Copper lover and Jason Hoffpauir like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Clinker,
    I thought the 20 cent piece used the same Seated Liberty design as the dimes,quarters,halves and dollars.What did Wm.Barber change or add?

Copper lover likes this.
  4. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

Yep, I knew both of those answers and all about the family and designing coins.

Hint-let more than one person take a stab at guessing before posting the answers.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Clinker:
    Thanks for hitting my favorite series (dimes, quarters and half dollars).

6. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Did you know he added the motto to the Saint-Gaudens eagle and double eagles?

Did you know he added the chain mail to MacNeil's awesome artistic design?

Did you also know any design that ended up on a coin under his reign as chief engraver he tried to get his grubby hands on?

Did you know that I can't stand the man? :D

7. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

Barber also removed a lot of the "roughness" from the fields of James E. Fraser's classic buffalo nickel design. SACRILEGIOUS!!

8. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thanks to all who commented and added some additional info...

Clinker

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Barber also made the striking of the Peace dollars easier by 'flattening' the die with a wood board & a hammer.
    He hated anyone who was able to design a coin, since it wasn't him.

I apologize, per Breen, it was Morgan (of Morgan $ fame) who did this.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I don't agree with that. In fact, I think time has been very good for Barber, and all his complaints about the coin designs that were forced on him proved to be accurate. They were bringing in Medal artistis and sculputers to make coins and the problem was that coins and freezes are different medium. Barbar coins are handsom coins and the wear terrifically well. The Buffalo Nickle, Peace Dollar, St Augustin Double Eagle all suffered basic problems which Barber understood. Coin World this week has a very decent article on Barber patterns.

Ruben

11. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

From what I read both the Barbers (father and son) did not like Mr. Morgan very much at all. It's funny because Morgan is credited for having designed the world's most popular coin. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted