Trivia - 1/3 Circle Coins

Discussion in 'Clinker - In Memoriam' started by Clinker, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

DATELINE: 1998 Three Commonwealth Nations made a unilateral agreement to strike a special proof coins. The nations are Cook Islands, Fiji and Western Samoa. The coins would bear Queen Elizabeth II's portrait on the left side of the obverse of each coin, facing right, with the 1998 date at the top of the right side, the words, "Queen Elizabeth II" under the date and the Country's name beneath that.

The reverses of the three coins depict landmarks and/or special monuments plus the denomination.

Each coin is in the shape of one-third of a circle. If a coin collector purchased all three coins, he or she could place the three coins together, end to end, completing a circle.

You can check out these coins in the 34th Official Edition of World Coins 1901 through 2000:

Cook Island silver one-third circle $2.00 (KM321)
    Fiji silver one-third circle $2.00 (KM78)
    Samoa silver one-third circle 2 Tala (KM120)

Clinker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Clinker,
    Are these coins pie shaped or what? I'm trying to picture 1/3 of a circle and that's the only thing I can visualize.

4. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To Mikjo0

Not quite. I believe when they are put together, it looks to me, like it will be a large circle with a hole in it. Each coin has over an ounce of actual silver weight in it resulting in a circle of silver of over three ounces.

Clinker

Draft saved Draft deleted