TRIVIA - 1,000,000 lIRA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clinker, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Did you know that if you had visited the Turkish Mint in 2004 or sooner, you were allowed to strike a 1,000,000 lira coin dated that year and keep it as a souvenir? The legends on the coin were in English and Turkish. This was a great publicity stunt as the wording reminds the visitor, and whomever is shown the coin, that the Turkish Mint has been striking coins since 1467, making it one of the oldest mints in operation.

To view this coin go to:
    http://www.joelscoins.com/bimetal.htm#turkey

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Thanks Clinker.
    Personally,I think Joel's Coins is one of the most fun coin sites to visit.You can find unusual stuff that nobody else has,at least not in one place,and the prices are affordable to almost any collector.Did I mention he's my brother-in-law? just kidding.

4. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Mikjo0:

I have a few coins from his offerings and I agree with their grading.

Clinker

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

21st Century Krause.

Clinker,you will need the 21st Century Krause to look these up.Here's a couple of links; www.krausebooks.com & www.amazon.com .

Aidan.

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Clinker,the Royal Australian Mint also has a Strike Your Own Coin programme as well.I wonder what other mints have a Strike Your Own Coin programme.

Does anyone know? Does the U.S. Mints allow you to strike your own coin to keep as a souvenir of your visit?

Aidan.

7. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

Not since 1913 (Liberty Head Nickels).

A 1 million TL coin in 2004 had an exchange value of about 60 cents (give or take). The Turks have revalued their currency since.

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

KLJ,it was in 2005 that the Turks carried out their currency reform.There is 100 Yeni Kurus (New Kurus) in 1 Yeni Turk Lira (New Turkish Lira).

The Turks were like the Italians - thinking in thousands & millions of Lira.

Today,it is the Zimbabwean Dollar that has the distinction of being the world's most worthless currency.

Aidan.

9. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thanks to all of you for your feedback on this "trivia."

Clinker

10. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

OK Clinker here is a question for you on that subject. A really good friend of mine from college is now back in Turkey where he was from. When he was here he used to give me coins from Turkey. I still exchange emails and letters with him. I didn't want to bother him for more coinage though since I've heard so much about some countries frouning on thier money leaving the country. Before I bother him do you know if there is any such policies in Turkey now?

11. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

To Just Carl

Carl...As of right now I believe the only restriction by Turkey is the amount that can taken (sent) out of the country...but maybe some other member or one of the moderators knows more or has access to more information...

Clinker

12. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

13. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I believe many countries actually impose such "limits" of exporting foreign curriencies out of their countries just because the authorities can't keep track of how much money is kept overseas instead of circulating in the system.

Another reason could be possible is in the event of counterfeit money could be reproduced if any examples are taken out of the country but all you really need is a sample... which is pretty "easy" to do if there are just so many tourists and the authories can't keep track of them all!

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I know of one guy who tried to export a lot of coins from Gambia,but he was stopped at the airport in Banjul as he was flying onto Accra,the capital of Ghana.Most of the coins he had on him were confiscated.He was unaware of any currency restrictions in that country.He had no trouble exporting the Gambian-issued British postal orders though.I'm not sure about the banknotes though.

No wonder why coins from Gambia are so difficult for collectors to find.

Aidan.

15. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thanks to all of you who replied...

Clinker

Draft saved Draft deleted